Bend um ?

Dragon_Heart 17:42 22 Mar 11

The FE made a remark a couple of weeks ago about questioning his own decision to relax his position on the forum rules.

Like it or not rules are part of our everyday lives, driving to work, at the office , playing a sport or even down the pub. Everyone knows the rules ( or should do ) and it attempts to ensure everyone is on an even playing field.

Some people get very passionate about a subject and 'say' things they may not say to a persons face. We then reply on the FE to calm the situation, like the ref at a soccer match. Like the ref at a soccer match we may not always agree with their decision, especially if it goes against us, but at the end of the day ALL forum members are no more that guests.

No set of rules can be black and white and again it's down to the FE's interpretation but is it wise / right for the rules to be bent no matter what the good intentions of the FE are ?

Forum Editor 18:04 22 Mar 11

no matter what the good intentions of the FE are ?"

Well - said he, jumping right in - I think it's OK for a little rule-bending to occur at times; provided I'm the one doing the bending that is.

I know how that sounds, but like it or not I'm here to see that we observe the rules and our editorial policies, and it follows that I should make the judgement about an occasional relaxation. After all, I'm the one who has to carry the can if it all goes wrong.

In practice most people know how far they can push the boundary, so my job is made easier.

Is it wise to condone a bit of rule bending? I think so - this is supposed to be fun, after all.

uk-wizard 18:15 22 Mar 11

You just wait till Winterval comes around to see rule bending at it's best. *grin*

Bingalau 18:16 22 Mar 11

Or if anybody starts the "Tinned Tomato" thread going again?

Forum Editor 18:25 22 Mar 11

If someone does, it won't survive for long.

Bingalau 18:51 22 Mar 11

FE. I know that; you know that; but does the dreaded phantom Tomato man know that?

Forum Editor 19:09 22 Mar 11

he soon will, if he tries to ride again.

morddwyd 20:34 22 Mar 11

Wasn't there something about "..... for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools"?

Dragon_Heart 23:16 22 Mar 11

He is also quoted as saying “Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't do this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind, you'll never use crutches or a stick, then have a go at everything. Go to school, join in all the games you can. Go anywhere you want to. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible ” but even he had to follow some rules.

" it follows that I should make the judgement about an occasional relaxation " we forum guests have no say in the matter ! Why have the rules in the first place ? Yes Yes rules and editorial policies.

" In practice most people know how far they can push the boundary .... " but how far is that ?

Chegs ®™ 01:53 23 Mar 11

" In practice most people know how far they can push the boundary .... " but how far is that ?"

Simplez,try pushing the boundary & you'll soon see.

Monoux 09:11 23 Mar 11

Chegs ®™
How far you can push the boundary depends on who you are

The same two or three people are allowed to push the boundaries ( break them actually ), be sarcastic and insulting to others on a regular basis without fear of rebuke from the FE.

When anyone tries to fight back the FE usually steps in very quickly to support the chosen few and slaps down those that have the audacity to respond towards them in the same manner they are allowed to treat the majority.

The evidence for my comments regarding this biased moderating is contained in numerous threads both recent and historic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple