Ben Hur Remake!

Quickbeam 12:38 28 Dec 11

I only came on this Ben Hur - Channel 5 drama in the paper this morning over breakfast. It'll be interesting to see how it compares with the much loved classic starring Charlton Heston and Jack Hawkins, wooden as their acting can be, I still like the 1959 epic.

Aitchbee 13:13 28 Dec 11

...I heard rumours that Kauto Star and Long Run are firm favourites of the original film, also, and will appear incognito at the hippodrome.

Aitchbee 13:39 28 Dec 11

..the stotyline hinges on a roof tile that falls down and injures Governor Messala...there are a few roof tiles falling down in Glasgow at the moment!

It's a BEN - Hurricaine!

spuds 16:26 28 Dec 11

I don't think that there is much to beat the Ben Hur of old, unless the remake is perhaps based on a Mad Max script ;o)

Condom 19:48 28 Dec 11

This is likely to end up just as badly remembered as the TV remake of Dr Zchivago. Ben Hur & Dr Zchivago were big screen classics and surely to do any justice to these stories would require multi million £ expenditures. Just imagine what modern computer graffics could do to many of the scenes we remember from both of these films. Masterful editing resulted in one of the best horse scenes ever watched in Ben Hur but surely coud be superceded with the use of modern methods.

When you think of the number of remakes of not so good films one wonders why some of the bigger ones have not been tackled.

Quickbeam 08:34 29 Dec 11

I recorded it to watch later in the week, Condom has me worried now in case they used CGI to make four seaside donkeys and a garden wheelbarrow to create the fabled chariot race:O

Quickbeam 09:27 29 Dec 11

I don't believe that David Lean's Dr Zchivago can ever be bettered in any remake. There are no fancy special effects other than awesome but natural winter photography, strong plot line with excellent acting and directing. It's as basic as a film making can get, but works extremely well.

Grey Goo 10:28 30 Dec 11

AitchBEE

Think the Governor was Valerius Gratus. Messala was the shagnasty in charge of the Garrison trying to impress Rome.

Quickbeam 09:49 01 Jan 12

I watched some of this yesterday afternoon and the rest this morning. They did OK for a TV film budget, but you can't not compare this sort of thing with the '59 big screen epic wooden acting and all.

Quickbeam 09:55 01 Jan 12

...and the chariot race was relegated to an oasis race track from the Colosseum. That's a bit like making an F1 film using a disused airfield for the main location...

Aitchbee 22:39 23 Jan 12

...a search for 'Ben Hur roof tiles' got me straight to this post.

After lookin' with my naked eyes, and then with 10 X 50 binoculars, ( after a good rummage to find them)....success!

I could plainly see an anomaly, on the roof. ( after the GALES )

A loose roof tile,(not a loose canon - hee hee), was put back in place today, 4 hours after I had reported the potentially dangerous loose tile to the GHA.

Thanks ...Ben.

And Glasgow Housing!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac