Being outspoken or scared to act!

spuds 12:50 26 Jul 15
Answered

What are your views or opinions on this subject. What would you suggest for a possible solution, if you had a say or had known it was happening.

The media, and perhaps rightly so, have been raising claims on this subject in the form of undercover investigations, possibly more so on television, with some shocking evidence being laid before us.If and when investigations do take place, its usually a "lessons will be learned" exercise, yet seemingly, it never appears that way. click here

Forum Editor 13:04 26 Jul 15

Society mitigates against honesty by running a blame culture - make a mistake in public office, and you are likely to be pilloried by self-satisfied media reporters and members of the public - people who almost certainly make lots of mistakes themselves, but feel safe in the knowledge that they are unlikely to see them made public.

Add the big risk of someone hearing a cash register ring, and wanting to claim compensation for pretty well any consequence of a public service mistake, and you can easily understand why lots of people are terrified of owning up to their mistakes.

Spotting someone else's mistake, and alerting them to it, can be well or badly received, and lots of people adopt the 'live and let live' attitude. It's a question of context - if I make an error, and accidentally ban someone it's hardly going to change that person's life, but if an ambulance crew messes up it could well be a life changing (or ending) mistake for the patient.

If I am killed because an airline captain makes a mistake when taking off it's not something I am going to be worried about, but my family and friends may well get some kind of closure (that awful word!) from hearing the pilot say 'it was entirely my fault, and I am deeply sorry'.

bumpkin 15:03 26 Jul 15

At our local hospital a senior consultant expressed concerns about certain failings (If was in the National Press) Was he thanked for this which he should have been in my opinion, not he was sacked (in laymans terms) instead. Of course that had to be given some fancy name like relocated.

bumpkin 15:04 26 Jul 15

EDIT if = it

Belatucadrus 16:12 26 Jul 15

Some years ago I joined our local Patient Participation Group, one thing we made clear at the beginning was that we had no interest in the blame game. As long as the practice attitude to problems was acknowledge then fix we were happy to take part and help in whatever way we could. Fortunately that's precisely what it's been, hope the rest of the NHS eventually takes the same attitude.

spider9 17:33 26 Jul 15

The most chilling sentence was "'Co-pilots would rather die than contradict a captain'.".

It would hardly matter what instructions were given if that was the mindset of the 'assistants' - very worrying.

bumpkin 20:27 26 Jul 15

If one is criticised which none of us like, they should consider the reasons why, bullying people into not speaking up is hardly likely to resolve any problems that may exist. It is the blame issue, rather than address the problem rationally make it someone else's fault. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes but it seems to be that many will not accept this.

spuds 11:04 27 Jul 15
Answer

Reading some of the feedback, hasn't really answered the question "What would you suggest for a possible solution, if you had a say or had known it was happening."

Because like the article, it would seem that people in general, try to avoid the point being made.

I personally have met with a number of situations throughout my life, that support or intervention was needed. Some results have had alarming 'comebacks', good or bad, depending on what the original complaint or comment was about. Many times, it as been a case of someone seeing something,or trying to get advice, but were very fearful of future events, with the end results, that nothing was ever done, until perhaps "the next time".

spider9 11:30 27 Jul 15

I think you may conclude that because our working lives are, at some stage, dependent on others (higher up the chain) for our own progress, then it makes it incredibly difficult to go against that person's authority - if you want to 'climb the greasy pole'.

Forum Editor 12:52 27 Jul 15

"Because like the article, it would seem that people in general, try to avoid the point being made".

Human nature is a complex thing - we instinctively try to avoid offending the people with whom we have to work if we can, because pointing out a failing is almost impossible to do without it seeming like a personal criticism.

You will meet people who say 'I don't give a damn what other people think of me, I'll say what I like'. When I hear someone saying that I always think 'there's a person who has had problems in his/her personality development'. Not caring what others think is a character defect, and it will inevitably cause problems, because all of us - whether we're honest enough to admit it or not - need each other. It's the reason we gather together in societies, form friendships, enter personal relationships, etc.

It is far from easy to say to someone 'I think you've made a mistake with this, and you must put it right'. A well-balanced, mature individual will respond positively, and want to discuss the matter, but many will not, so it's often avoided for the sake of peace in a team situation.

At one point in my life I was trained to act as a negotiator in union/management disputes. I had to sit through many long meetings in which people accused others of making mistakes, and I learnt very quickly that it takes understanding and skill to get two parties to the point where they can agree to talk about these things without anger and negativity.

I don't think we'll ever see a time when everyone, whatever the context, acknowledges their errors voluntarily. Human beings just aren't wired that way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…