//some 3rd party need geo

Is this, the beginning of the end?

LastChip 21:14 23 Jul 04

AT&T, one of the worlds largest telephone companies announced Thursday, it is to stop actively seeking new customers for its long distance telephone network.

Instead, it is to focus on new technologies, including voice over the Internet.

click here for the story.

Already, our own BT seem to be reinventing itself, as a provider of wholesale services. Perhaps the writing is on the wall and eventually, no longer will telephone companies actually provide a retail service. Instead, as to a degree is now, you will pop into Tesco's to buy a new telephone contract, but not for a mobile!

LastChip 21:47 04 Aug 04

No interest shown in this, so I'll clear it.

JYPX 22:11 04 Aug 04

Good grief - what an astonishing story. Apologies for missing your original post. Bt is certainly a very good example of a seemingly secure company suddenly overwhelmed by competition from new technology. And it's not over yet. I have NTL cable and use of a mobile - so why on earth have I kept on my landline? I think vast numbers of brits are just about to ask themselves the same question!!!

Chegs ® 23:55 04 Aug 04

My ONLY reason for staying with BT is I haven't been able to find an ISP that will give me ADSL without a BT line.Once I have ADSL,I can change provider from BT to another,but it doesn't stop BT from continually switching my line off and in so doing kills my ADSL.Then I have to return to BT,to get my ADSL sorted.

Forum Editor 00:57 05 Aug 04

ADSL is a BT technology, in that they own the exchanges and the distribution network. All ISPs who sell ADSL broadband services buy the service from BT wholesale in the first place.

Someone has to own a National Telecoms network, and in our case it happens to be BT. I don't have a problem with that - BT is the best telephone services provider by a mile anyway. I have enough feedback from clients who have switched from BT to other providers to convince me that BT is the company to be with.

The Telecoms industry is like any other in certain important respects, and on of them is the need to evolve - any self-respecting Telecoms provider will constantly be looking to develop new comms technologies.

georgemac 08:25 05 Aug 04

soon BT are being forced to introduce a wholesale line rental package to other telecoms providers, so you should be able to switch away from BT if you want with no loss of ADSL.

However your ADSL & phone calls will still be provided by BT on BT's network, only you would be dealing with another company, except if you have any faults you would still be reporting it to BT.

I agree with FE, BT do provide a good service, but because of their reluctance to invest in a broadband network, the UK is probably a couple of years behind where it should be in broadband take up. Looks like the investment in broadband will prove to be good business for BT.

click here bb subscriptions have trebled since the beginning of 2002, over 1 million bb connections, and an average of 28,000 new connections per week.

Given the number of exchanges now being enabled, this rate may even have increased.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…