Beer, steam speed - and money

peter99co 13:40 22 Nov 08

Have you seen Tornado yet?

click here

laurie53 21:23 22 Nov 08

Nice story. Look forward to finding a video link.

Brumas 22:52 22 Nov 08

The sight and sound of it warms the cockles of this old train spotter's heart :o))

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:59 22 Nov 08

click here photos

click here
videos

Brumas 23:37 22 Nov 08

Now you've gone and done it - I'll be there all night and I was just about to head for bed, thank heavens for bookmarks!

Quickbeam 09:02 23 Nov 08

driven machinery whether it be rail, road or marine that captures the heart and makes it a living machine... think 'African Queen', Titfield Thunderbolt' & 'The Iron Maiden' films.

Diesel doesn't get anywhere near the same affection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 23 Nov 08

"Diesel doesn't get anywhere near the same affection."

It does for me as they have provided me with a living for the last 40yrs. :0)

Agree the steam engine is more of a living machine but I don't droll when one appears on shed.

Some Steam Engine photos for the "nostalgic" click here

Forum Editor 12:45 23 Nov 08

that one of the most evocative sights (and sounds) in the world must have been a big wood-fired engine pulling a train across the American wilderness. To those early settlers it must have been a comforting sight - civilisation arriving in the middle of nowhere.

When you go out into the empty spaces of states like Montana and Nevada you really begin to understand just what a powerful influence steam engines were. The 21st century diesel powered trains that cross America now just don't have the same romance about them, but boy, are they powerful.

peter99co 15:26 23 Nov 08

What an amazing site of Images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…