Beer Glasses

flycatcher1 23:28 PM 02 Nov 12

This week I watched the Detective Series "DCI Banks" on ITV. Superb books, TV not too bad.

The hero was in a pub in the Yorkshire Dales and was drinking beer from a dimple pint glass. I always understood that up North, the normal beer glasses were straight. Spent many, mostly happy years, in Yorks and Lincs and remember straights were the norm.

Have things changed? Before anyone jumps in I do realise that it is not the type of glass that matters its the quality of the contents.

the.hick 06:51 AM 03 Nov 12

I recall in the film 'Get Carter', when Jack Carter (Michael Caine) gets to Newcastle he goes for a pint, and requests - 'In a thin glass please', so there was a choice then. However, from my visits to Yorkshire area, does seem mostly straight type glasses.

BT 08:19 AM 03 Nov 12

If you watch 'Last of the Summer wine' they mostly seem to drink from 'Dimple' glasses with handles.

wiz-king 08:26 AM 03 Nov 12

Dimple's are on the way out - cost more, more liable to break in washing-up machine, store less on the shelves and larger drinkers dont like them. (when did you last see a lager advert without a fancy glass?)

BT 08:30 AM 03 Nov 12

wiz-king

Is that LARGER LAGER drinkers, and if so why don't they like 'em? ;o)

wiz-king 09:13 AM 03 Nov 12

BT Larger drinkers cant get so many empties on the table! Partly because of the belly overhang and because the dimple gasses take up more space :0)

Bing.alau 09:53 AM 03 Nov 12

In the pub I managed we used mostly what are called "Tulip" shaped glasses. The big dimpled glasses were asked for now and again. But as has been mentioned already, are a bit on the clumsy side for carrying and washing etc. Even the half pints were too heavy for the little demure ladies of Liverpool.

johndrew 09:55 AM 03 Nov 12

Ah Yes, but dimple glasses have handles which, if holding the glass around its circumference with the fingers through it, stops the glass slipping from the grip when eyes glaze and hands numb ;-))

Bing.alau 10:45 AM 03 Nov 12

I didn't let my barmaids get in to that state *,-))

Forum Editor 10:52 AM 03 Nov 12

I worked in the brewing industry for quite a few years, and we used to hear all kinds of theories about why certain people and certain areas favoured one or the other shape of beer glass.

Real ale purists used to go on about how the thin glass allowed the beer to be warmed slightly by the drinker's lips as it passed from glass to mouth, allowing the full flavour to be appreciated.

It made us smile, because the beer is too cool, and the volume across the lip/glass junction is usually too great to allow any temperature change to take place. What was a fact is that dimple glasses tended to have a longer life, and were less likely to be used as weapons in 'glassing' attacks.

tonyq 11:09 AM 03 Nov 12

being a Yorkshire man, I can say that a number of years ago you nearly always had a choice, dimpled,(which was also named barrel glass),or straight. In village pubs dimpled glasses seemed to be popular. Now though I hardly see anyone drinking out of anything but straight. I always thought the reason why you don't see as many now was that the dimple/barrel glasses would be more expensive to produce or replace.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED