The Beatles..!!

royalflush 02:50 10 Mar 07

I have a friend in Canada & i had a argument with her over who was the most famous of the four & i said it was "John"...although "Paul" comes very close does everyone agree with me...?
then we disscused what made John so famous i said it was the world at that time with the Vietnam was ect...was i right...?

Dont we just miss John & George so much god bless them..!!!

picklsey 07:51 10 Mar 07

i would say john, but it really depended on the fans who they fancied the most.my sister was a mad fan and she would say john because that,s who she liked the best.personally i hated the beatles music but i liked john lennons.

Forum Editor 08:24 10 Mar 07

I wasn't a Beatles fan - my musical taste veered more towards the Rolling Stones.

Some (but not all) of Lennon's writing is excellent though, and often when I'm in New York I go to the John Lennon memorial - not so much to pay homage as to see the various eccentrics who seem to frequent the place. Last time there was a woman who stood there waving her arms in the air while a crazed-looking middle-aged hippy sang 'Imagine' really badly.

Bingalau 10:39 10 Mar 07

I think the Beatles written music was excellent. But their singing was diabolical. But then I was brought up listening to proper music. I am a Scouser and proud of it, but I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Belatucadrus 10:47 10 Mar 07

That's easy, Ringo !

His Thomas the tank engine is a modern day classic and way better than that appalling Double Fantasy LP and I really don't care if I never hear Mull of Kintyre ever again

Forum Editor 11:40 10 Mar 07

Well so were we all.

All music is 'proper' music to those who like it. Let's not introduce musical snobbery into this. The Beatles changed the world in their own small way, and although I wasn't a fan I certainly acknowledge that. Millions and millions of people looked upon them as one of the defining musical groups of the hippie/flower power/transcendental era, and they've earned their place in history.

Bingalau 12:06 10 Mar 07

FE. I quite like the Beatle's music when it's performed by somebody else. I like all types of music, but I really don't think the Beatles deserved all the acclaim they got and still are getting. Why the Liverpool airport was named after John Lennon I shall never understand. There were/are much more deserving Liverpudlians who should have been honoured. If it is an honour?

Forum Editor 13:13 10 Mar 07

I think I'm with you on Liverpool airport - it struck me as a silly thing to do.

I'm afraid I have always been one of a (probably tiny) band of people who just couldn't stand John Lennon. He was pretentious in the extreme, and I've never understood the reverence that seems to surround the very mention of his name. From what I've read in the media books and heard privately he could be extremely selfish and unpleasant to those around him.

Nevertheless, Beatles music defined a generation to a large extent, and still has an enormous following today. I saw them live at the Shea stadium in 1965, and I have to say it was quite night.

wee eddie 13:49 10 Mar 07

but my preferred music was the Stones followed by Pink Floyd and Doors.

However there is little doubt that the huge range of styles used by the Lennon McCartney composing partnership, changed pop music forever.

For that we are all, forever, in their debt and they opened the way for so many wonderful groups. "What" would the Gallagher Brothers have done without them!

As for "John Lennon Airport". That was probably Liverpool Council "Jumping on a Band-Waggon"

Bingalau 14:47 10 Mar 07

Yes I agree Liverpool did jump on the Band-Wagon. Which compared to how Chicago airport got its name, is nothing. That is some story. But of the Beatles? I have no idea what the fuss is about.

Forum Editor 14:57 10 Mar 07

Perhaps the fuss is about a band that by the end of 1972 had already sold over half a billion records.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009