bbc Springwatch

wolfie3000 10:59 29 May 06

At last a Good reality show is on.

click here

Anyone taking part?

I expect everyones garden now has the sound of chirping from various birds and the flitting of butterflys and moths.

Go out today and see what you can find you might be surprised.

wolfie3000 11:02 29 May 06

This is what we found last year an elephant hawk moth.

click here

hallc 11:41 29 May 06

We have a host of blackbirds in our garden they wait every morning to be fed , yesterday two goldfinches came into the garden but the blackies chased them before i could take a picture .
Will be watching springwatch all week, cheers

€dstowe 12:03 29 May 06

This is one of the best programmes on television. I have pointed it out in the BB thread click here so that fans can get some idea of what real life is about.

It's even better this year - there will be an AutumnWatch as well.

PurplePenny 13:17 29 May 06

I put food out every day for the birds. The other day, because I knew that I would be up later the next day and wouldn't get the seed mix down to them early enough, I put it out the night before.

A bit later I happened to glance out of the window and there was a hedgehog eating the bird food. So off I went to get out the hedgehog food (Spike's Dinner).

A bit later I looked out and there was a local semi-feral cat eating the hedgehog food. Oh dear - hog food is no good for cats (though hogs can eat cat food). So out I went again with a bowl of cat food.

Looked out again later and the cat food was being eaten .... by a fox!

Now I put out bird food, cat food and hedgehog food and sit back each evening and watch the visitors. And there is still enough in the morning to attract wrens, spadgers (house and tree), finches (gold, green, chaf and more), starlings, thrushes, blackbirds, jackdaws, magpies, crows, collared doves, wood pigeons, and others that flit in long enough for me to say "what's that" but have always gone by the time I get the bins out and focussed!

There are babes in the garden at the moment. I love to watch the baby starlings pursuing and demanding food from *any* adult, even blackbirds and spadgers!

(I know that studies have shown that cats have an impact on bird populations but we don't have that problem. Our own cat, the semi-feral and the other cats that visit the garden aren't around at the same time as the birds because cats are nocturnal hunters and they are fast asleep by the time the baby birds are on the ground. We frequently find mice remains but very rarely bird remains.)

Forum Editor 13:34 29 May 06

is visited by foxes constantly - often in broad daylight. I have a fairly large pond, and they come to drink, and at night to play around - we often see (and hear) them on moonlit nights.

We see plenty of birdlife - Herons like to try their luck in the pond, and a barn owl frequently glides throught the trees at the top of the garden; it's a tad wild up there, and I think there are voles/mice aplenty.
Wood-pigeons make a racket in the trees, as do magpies and jays, and we occasionally see hawks hovering over the wilder part of the garden.

Baby birds are seldom seen, I think the foxes and cats deal with them.

No Elephant hawk-moths so far, although in the late summer when the fruit is rotting on the ground there are clouds of butterflies getting drunk.

oresome 19:15 29 May 06

We've had bluetits nesting in a box every year for almost 20 years.

We've now acquired two cats* and this year have unfortunately had to block the entrance to the bird box to prevent a carnage.

*Daughter leaves home. Three months later, daughter returns plus two cats. Dog not too pleased and neither is father.

semag 19:21 29 May 06

"At last a Good reality show is on."
does it clash with BB?

josie mayhem 20:00 29 May 06

Sadly I don't have a garden of my own any more (totally gutted about this) but living on the first floor of a small block of flats (8 in all) the view from my lounge window does help a little, as I looked onto the roof of our garage block, and can't see our drying area unless i stand by the window, all I see is loads of trees the church yard, school fields then open farm land and the Quantock hills.

We have all sorts of birds flying in, the squirils are wonderful to watch there antics through the trees and across the garage roofs... we even have our very own ollie owl.

But the best sight I seen from my window, A bird of prey take out a piegon in mid air to the ground and proceeded to eat it for it's tea, and what made it more special was because it was a peragrin falcon, which at the time I didn't know I'm not up on my birds, but a work collegue was, and she comfirmed what I saw.

hssutton 20:06 29 May 06

It may be spring where you are, but on the East Coast just south of the Humber, it's like the middle of winter, But at least I do have this nesting in the garden click here

Forum Editor 20:17 29 May 06

on the bird population. Fledgelings often have to spend at least one night on the ground, because they haven't learned to fly to roost. That's when the cats go to work - I've seen the evidence time and again.

A robin nested on a shelf in my garage this spring, and successfully brought five chicks to the point of leaving the nest. For a day the garage was a flurry of practising chicks, and then they were gone, into the garden. Next morning my neighbour told me she had been presented with a heap of little corpses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…