BBC and the iPlayer

Riojaa 17:01 17 Sep 07

I registered recently with the BBC so that I could use their beta iPlayer which is similar to bit torrents.
The BBC plan,I believe, is to eventually charge you a couple of pounds for downloads.

I have only downloaded one program so far called the Dinner Party. When you start to view it reminds you that you have seven days to view it and then it will disappear from your pc. I aborted the initial viewing.

After detecting where the downloaded file was stored on my pc I smiled when I saw that it was a Windows Media file and can be play through WMP so therefore bypassing the time restricting iPlayer.

I wonder what happens if I make a copy of the file to be played if/when the iPlayer decides to 'erase' it after 7 days.

MediaPlayerC ,Nero and VLC won't play the file after detecting license restrictions.

Somehow I feel that the BBC still has a bit of work to do inorder to stop future unlicensed/unrestricted usage. Especially if they keep downloads in the Windows Media file format.

QuizMan 18:13 17 Sep 07

I've given up on iPlayer. Whatever it does when it sets itself up initially has caused me to experience extremely slow start ups. It could take 3 or 4 minutes before I could use my PC. I've just removed it and things are back to normal now. Don't think that I'll go there again until we're through the beta stage.

On the odd occasion that I used it, WMP seemed to work best, but I suspect that if it's set to expire after 7 days, that's exactly what it will do.

rodriguez 18:17 17 Sep 07

It will be DRM protected. This means it will delete itself after the 7 day period. Skybybroadband used to work this way and 4oD use it. They are usually WMV files and if you copy the dowloaded programme to a computer that doesn't have the iPlayer, it probably won't play as the DRM licence that is needed to play the file is downloaded with it. This is how 4oD works. There is a program that strips off the DRM protection (if you already have the correct licence) to allow it to be played without the time restrictions, as many times as you want, on any computer and allows it to be burned (I used this with some 4oD downloads and it works fine). But this is illegal so I can't post about it here.

Riojaa 19:35 17 Sep 07

rodriguez, you're not wrong and it's all technicalities.
A real burning issue for the future, no doubt!

Jimmy14 20:09 17 Sep 07

When it's closed, there are processes running in the background which eat up a lot of bandwith. It could be lethal for usage limits on their broadband services. This has been highlighted in the news and it says it is a strain on the broadband network infrastructure. I personally think it has a long way to go before it is given the term "stable". BBC say they will release versions for Vista and linux in the coming months but the method to get it working on Vista is so simple and short, if BBC made it then they should know it works on Vista.

Jimmy14 20:09 17 Sep 07

for people with usage limits on their broadband services.*

Riojaa 20:23 17 Sep 07

The BBC are using Kontiki click here .

Bob The Nob© 00:33 20 Sep 07

'After detecting where the downloaded file was stored on my pc I smiled when I saw that it was a Windows Media file and can be play through WMP so therefore bypassing the time restricting iPlayer.'

It doent bypass the restrictions as its playing in WMP in the iPlayer, the iPlayer is just a holder for WMP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos