Bathrooms on aeroplanes?

Colin 19:37 30 Nov 06

Just been listening to a news article on the radio. A person speaking in the article said that she went to the bathroom on an aeroplane. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never been on an aeroplane that has a bathroom. Oh, I've just realised - she meant the toilet! Just another Americanism that drifts into our way of speaking. Like the "holidays" instead of Christmas. A minor irritant, but one none the less. Also, please note that I wrote aeroplane, not airplane.
Have a nice day!

Diodorus Siculus 20:13 30 Nov 06

I always find that in the US the word used is "restroom" - tends to be the British who say "bathroom" when what is meant is the toilet / WC.

Jackcoms 20:33 30 Nov 06

I was doing some research earlier today on the differences between English and, what has rather strangely, become known as "American English".

Interest article to read click here

I note that it is described as a 'dialect', in the same way that Cockney is a dialect or Geordie is a dialect or Scouse is a dialect.

Colin 20:40 30 Nov 06

Restroom usually means toilets in a public area such as a train station. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've never known British people to say bathroom for toilet. It's no big deal, just my observations.

Bapou 20:52 30 Nov 06

Sounds more polite than saying she had just been to the Netty!

Mr Mistoffelees 21:23 30 Nov 06

Or the bog!!!

wiz-king 21:34 30 Nov 06

or the heads!

namtas 22:10 30 Nov 06

I worked together with Americans for twenty years, a toilet call was always a must go to the bathroom. Most of the time never a bath in sight.

Colin 22:14 30 Nov 06

Thanks, Namtas. I've always thought that a bathroom contains a bath. Perhaps they are too embarrassed to say toilet?

sidecar sid 22:59 30 Nov 06

I can remember using the "bathroom" on a Boeing 707 travelling to New york many years ago that had a window in it that was obscured,and thinking at the time.
Who is going to see me at 30,000 feet?

Brumas 23:44 30 Nov 06

Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw who said
" England and America are two countries separated by a common language"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017