Baroness Thatcher

Flak999 13:49 PM 08 Apr 13

The BBC have just announced the news that Baroness Thatcher died this morning from a stroke BBC announce death of Baroness Thatcher

In my opinion the greatest British Prime Minister since Churchill.

My thoughts are with her family, apparently she is to be afforded a state funeral on a par with that of the Queen Mother and Princess Diana.

fourm member 13:54 PM 08 Apr 13

In my opinion, amongst all her achievements this pragmatic decision stands out as an indication that she was willing to listen to advice and act on it.

Joseph Kerr 13:58 PM 08 Apr 13

Took a while for such a thread to appear.

Aitchbee 14:17 PM 08 Apr 13

I [and I'm sure many others will be ] grateful for her policy of 'Right To Buy' one's council house.

PS. Janet Brown was always very good at impersonating Mrs Thatcher, but she was never liked in Scotland because of the 'Poll Tax'.

spider9 14:18 PM 08 Apr 13

According to the BBC report

"She will not have a state funeral but will be accorded the same status as Princess Diana and the Queen Mother"

Flak999 14:23 PM 08 Apr 13

Yes, it would appear state funerals are reserved for the Monarch, hers will be a ceremonial funeral.

spider9 14:29 PM 08 Apr 13

Her politics were divise, but nobody can do anything but admire the way she shook up the world of politics.

Having said that, she had a 'good innings' and we all have to go eventually.

spider9 14:30 PM 08 Apr 13

Oops, divisive

bluesbrother 14:49 PM 08 Apr 13

To paraphrase Aitchbee,

"I [and I'm sure many others] am not grateful for her policy of 'Right To Buy' one's council house."

The Poll Tax is not the only reason she is despised in Scotland.

fourm member 15:10 PM 08 Apr 13

Would that be despised by some in Scotland? Or are you putting yourself forward as the voice of a nation?

Bing.alau 15:14 PM 08 Apr 13

I don't like MP's (Fullstop). But You have to admire Mrs Thatcher for the way she stuck to her guns.

I believe she had asked not to have a state funeral. I don't now what the rules are regarding this but Mr Churchill certainly had one. I suppose if every prime minister were to have one we would be always having the damn things. Have we got enough Troops and Matelots/RAF Erks etc., to line the route? I doubt it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know