Banned: First conkers now footballs.

gengiscant 16:24 18 Nov 10

Just picked up my local evening paper and the story that a private school has banned the use of footballs in playground kick abouts.

click here

Anyone want to help me invent a cotton wool suit preferable able to fit a child from birth to perhaps their early twenties.

it is quite frightening the dangers that seem to lurk around every corner these days,its a mystery how we have any older folk these days now that we know that dangers to life and limb are everywhere.

Forum Editor 16:49 18 Nov 10

until you have been smacked full in the face by a wet football on a freezing cold morning.

We're creating a nation of over-protected wimps.

wiz-king 16:51 18 Nov 10

FE - Yes, but it's got to be a real football, made of leather and well coated with mud.

peter99co 16:51 18 Nov 10

Pathetic!

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 18 Nov 10

Where I was brought up you were considered a total softy until you had broken at least one bone, preferably two.

G

Woolwell 16:55 18 Nov 10

Lace first!

gengiscant 17:19 18 Nov 10

Oh dear, at 56 years of age i will admit to never having broken a bone in my life.I feel such a wimp. I feel I should in someway rectify the matter except it would probably hurt.LOL

Blackhat 17:28 18 Nov 10

One thing that got banned at my school 35 years ago was the pole vault, after I had won the school championship (by default).

We had a rigid hollow aluminium pole and a sand bunker. I did my first vault at 6 feet 2 inches, nearly winded myself hitting the sand. Next to vault cracked a couple of ribs trying to impale himself on the end of the pole (miss timed his crossover) 3rd to vault landed badly and had broken an ankle, final vaulter landed on his chest with his arms under him breaking both wrists.

When the Headmaster asked what all the ambulances were for he put a stop to the competition but I had won by then. I am still the reigning pole vault champ.

Forum Editor 17:35 18 Nov 10

I slid into a goalmouth tackle during a school football match...... and slid straight on into the goalpost, knee first.

My right knee-cap was broken in two, and I was stretchered off the pitch into a waiting ambulance. An operation ensued; recovery was painful and protracted - titanium pin holding knee-cap together.

The bonus was being something of a hero, and being visited in hospital by several of the prettiest girls in the school. I revelled in it, and enjoyed the benefits it brought for a long time afterwards. The titanium pin is in there still.

I laugh in the face of danger.

Quickbeam 18:32 18 Nov 10

I remember the sting that lasted for over an hour when I made a fantastic cricket catch that left my fingers badly bruised for two weeks afterwards. It still troubles me in frosty weather and I do wonder if I broke a bone in one of my fingers... but only girlie boys would have wanted to go to A & E in the early '70s with it, if anything it's a talking point 40 years on...

Bingalau 19:13 18 Nov 10

FE You sound like Juan Sheet in the advert... Laugh at danger indeed... I bet you cried as much as I did when I broke my nose sledding down a hill weaving in and out of apple trees. (How I hit one of them I will never know). Wouldn't happen now as I could use a TomTom?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…