Is Banksy's work graffiti or valuable art?

TopCat® 18:14 23 Oct 07

It would appear it's the latter in some cases as high prices are certainly being paid for it. Tower Hamlets are the first council to class it as graffiti though - click here - so, having not actually seen any of it myself I wondered if others have and can give an opinion. TC.

Confab 18:47 23 Oct 07

Some of it is superb

click here

Confab

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:10 23 Oct 07

I find his work amazing especially his 'greetings from London' postcard. click here for free downloads.

G

Probabilitydrive 19:30 23 Oct 07

If art is measured by its popularity and desirability than stealing is a legitimate form worship...Bansky murial theft click here

Al94 19:38 23 Oct 07

Without a doubt it's obscene vandalism - another symptom of the wrongs that are being accepted by a section of this misguided society. If it's art, then paint it on canvas and sell it, don't deface and pollute property that doesn't belong to you.

Forum Editor 19:41 23 Oct 07

and I think it's wonderful. Banksy has a rare talent, and a great sense of humour - a marvellous combination.

Al94 19:44 23 Oct 07

So defacing property is OK then FE ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:49 23 Oct 07

He is making dull walls visually attractive and with a great sense of humour.

G

Al94 19:50 23 Oct 07

But encourages other idiots to make a complete mess of every other "blank canvas" in the country.

Al94 19:52 23 Oct 07

I have just returned from Mykonos where every building is whitewashed and looks clean and perfect. Imagine what it would look like if the graffitti artists started work on it. This coun try is a total mess.

Totally-braindead 20:03 23 Oct 07

In my opinion it depends on where it is painted in the case of this "artist". Its clear he has talent but defacing buildings etc takes away from the art.
If he did his work with prior permission that would be different.
The trouble with allowing someone with talent to graffiti whatever he likes is that people with no talent at all would just see this as carte blanche to do the same, and lets face it how could you prosecute one person for vandalism and not another just because one has talent and the other couldn't paint a garden fence. It would be a nightmare.
If he does it with permission its art, if not its vandalism.
Lets face it he doesn't have to sneak off and paint a block of council houses or whatever now anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now