Banks and their strange ways

jack 13:53 14 Nov 05

Who can explain this - certainly my bank call cetra staff cant -The lady simply said - 'well its what we do '

I've had a small overdraft facility for years, in the event I hav'n't had to call upon it for some time - years infact. Earlier this year,as a backup for overseas travel I arranged an for increased one.
Once more good fortune - and I did not call upon it.
Now it is due for renewall they offered me a new one with a new higher limit, plus insurance cover for a small sum.- would I telephone to confrm.
So I telephoned to say I do not need the increase or the insurance just leave it as it is.
The lady said 'Oh no cant do that the new limit will be- £xxxx - which is £60 less than the original and sveral hundreds pounds less than the renewall offer.
So what sort of daft game is that?

Wissy 14:14 14 Nov 05

Very daft - and I work for a bank! Its illogical decisions like this one that make me avoid conversations with people about what I do for a living as I can only ever agree with them.

Al94 17:13 14 Nov 05

Boy do I have sympathy with that statement Wissy!! Banking was a lifetime career for me, don't miss it a bit and when people start sounding off about how c**p their bank is now, I just agree and change the subject quick! Jack - just tell them exactly what you require and if they can't do it, you'll move your account to someone who will. Can you talk to someone in your branch rather than the call centre? (I know that's probably a joke!)

oresome 17:14 14 Nov 05

It seems like they're after increasing revenue from their customers and if you won't play ball, you'll be penalised.

g0nvs 17:44 14 Nov 05

I rang my bank last week after finding their new phone number which is 0845********** and I suspect it was a call center India. I was unable to sort the problem out then, unable to understand a word the lady was saying.
Before anyone accuses me of being racist let me tell you i'm not. Once had trouble understanding a lass with a very broad Scottish accent as well.

jack 19:55 14 Nov 05

Let sleeping dogs lay me thinks. The sheer hassle of getting onto the Ministry of Misery/Council/Water co-etc..to change things around aint worth a candle.
Of all the Banks -yes I started my working life in one -60 years ago -
This current one is pretty obliging both in branch and on phone[ No internet banking for me thank you]in most other apsects.

GaT7 20:39 14 Nov 05

If we had other 'safe' alternatives to banks, wouldn't we all be using them?! G

jbp1982 22:51 14 Nov 05

I once asked for an overdraft temporarily and the teller said, erm, "I am sorry sir, you don't have enough money in your account" Well if I had money at the time I wouldn't have needed the overdraft! That was a few years ago and I haven't needed to ask again...

Also all this tech advancement aswell and it still takes a week to process a cheque!

jbp1982 22:54 14 Nov 05

I replied to soon.

I use internet and phone banking now, very handy and safe. I am careful, run my anti-wotsit programs regularly and i am very secretive with passwords and info. No problems so far.

I must admit I only made this move after arsonists burned down my local bank branch!

spuds 11:04 15 Nov 05

I was very anti regarding online banking, but I am slowly beginning to like the ease of the practice.But trying to deposit cash in coinage and paper form is still not possible down an optic cable, is it!!.

Ha well, skateboard out and a spin down to the local [not so nowadays]bank, so see if they still except cash.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…