Bank of Scotland — credit where it's due.

Jim Thing 16:23 16 Jun 05

I have a Bank of Scotland credit card which I don't use very often. On Monday evening, however, I hammered it somewhat in order to book flights and accommodation for a forthcoming trip abroad.

On Tuesday morning I had a phone call with "an important message Bank of Scotland security department..." Thinking that it was some rogue phishing I ignored it, but when it was repeated twice more within half an hour I rang the bank's Customer Services line to ask whether they were aware of this rogue.

It turns out that the calls were genuine. It seems that the bank's software had recognised the unusual flurry of activity in my account, and their security office had phoned me to enquire whether I knew about it.

Well done, Bank of Scotland. It's reassuring to know that someone is on the ball and looking after my interests.

Hamish 16:49 16 Jun 05

A good credit card to have. I also have one.

wiz-king 18:04 16 Jun 05

are the same, I have been contacted by them recently about 'odd' spending patterns on my card, in my case it was because I have started you use the card I have has for years for my personal use for company purchases. Nice to know the computer flags it up - but on the other hand it is a case of 1984 and big brother is watching you.

Jim Thing 18:10 16 Jun 05

A big brother can be a handy thing to have; I often wished for one when I was a kid.

Note: Big Brother with two big Bs is an entirely different thing and a load of crap to boot.

IMHO of course. And OT...

TonyV 20:07 16 Jun 05

This business of Credit Card Companies checking on what is happening to a card is actually very good. It can have its' downside though. The other day, my lad took me to Twickenham to see the Johnson/Lomu match. We went down in the afternoon, but my lad had been to Nottingham in the morning and gave his Flexible Friend a bit of a thumping. When he went to pay for the tickets at the gate, he was asked for authorisation on his card. I said I would use my card, which went thro' fine. We could only think that since he had used it extensively in Nottingham, then a few hours later it was being used in Twickenham, it could have been stolen! Not a bad safety net!

Aspman 10:00 17 Jun 05

I've had the same call from Egg. I'm glad they do carry out these checks.

A friend of mine works for the Royal Bank of Scotland developing the statistics for detecting fraud. They apply these stats internally as well to look out for staff snooping around accounts.

It's a very large department apparently so the banks at least are taking these things seriously.

Jim Thing 11:07 17 Jun 05

Thanks everyone. I hadn't realised that other banks are doing it too. Not all banks are all bad all the time, it would seem. I find it reassuring, but at the same time I shall keep a careful eye on my statements, looking for a charge for Reassurance Services or something similar.

Cynical old man? Who — me?

spuds 21:38 17 Jun 05

A very interesting programme was on BBC 2 this evening, called 'Britain's Hi-Tech Crime Wave'. Some very chilling facts came to light about phishing, keylogging and card frauds.Even shown how the banks and virus tracing companies are working 24/7 clocking all internet activities.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…