bank fraud

joe95 22:50 19 Aug 06

I received my bank statement today and noticed an amount of money had been sent some person I had never heard of. I do internet banking but only to pay my credit card account the bank is checking it etc.My question is have I done something wrong is there software that I should have on my PC.
I have Zonealarm, spybot and adaware,would be grateful for any advice
Thanks

ulrich 23:00 19 Aug 06

Get on to your bank immediately or I should probably say card provider.

joe95 23:20 19 Aug 06

I have been in touch with my bank and they are looking into it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 20 Aug 06

I have Zonealarm, spybot and adaware,would be grateful for any advice

As long as you update and scan regularly then you are well protected.

It may not be your fault, Yesterday I got a letter from work saying that bank details had be stolen from the payroll section and we should keep an eye on our statements.

jack 17:26 20 Aug 06

These things do happen, but there is a logical possibilty.
If you have purchased something online or purchased something from one the large high street chains- some of these companies use a 'parrallel' collection system to process the payments.
So does the sum match a recent purchase?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:02 20 Aug 06

There is virtually no chance of someone 'hacking a home computer. I would be looking at petrol stations, restaurants or elsewhere rather than my computer.

G

Forum Editor 19:36 20 Aug 06

Have you used the card in restaurants recently?

Spark6 21:00 20 Aug 06

joe95 refers to his bank account statement, not his credit card, indicating a debit to an unknown person.

How does that equate with the use of a card in a garage or restaurant?

Mikè 21:06 20 Aug 06

Er debit card maybe....

joe95 23:06 20 Aug 06

crx 1600
I have AVG.

On my statement there is an entry "B-Paymnt to person's name" surely if I was transfering money to this person I would need their account no.
The same day of this transaction I used my Debit card to withdraw money from the P.O.and purchased petrol from Asda.I haven't purchased anything online recently.
All my Anti-virus etc up to date and nothing showing up on PC.
GANDALF
Afriend of mine told me to turn my modem off everytime I leave my PC.
Thanks everyone for your replies helps to reassure me a little.

Spark6 23:41 20 Aug 06

In your original post no mention was made of your debit/switch card, your suspicion was personal computer based. As card cloning is rife in this country it should have been your first thought!

Let us know the outcome, I sincerely hope you will not be the loser.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5