Ban face book etc at work.

spikeychris 20:06 02 Sep 07

Social-networking sites drag content from every corner of the net generating enormous DNS lookups - Quote: "A single MySpace page can have anywhere from 200 to 300 DNS lookups, while a normal news site with ads might have 10 to 15 DNS lookups. Virgin Media has to allocate10 percent of Virgin Media's DNS traffic to myspace alone!

With this in mind I am suggesting that companies ban access to social network sites – including You Tube. Before it is suggested PCA or other online communities are SN sites click here
If you want to visit these sites wait until you get home.

VoG II 20:25 02 Sep 07

Unreasonable? click here

octal 21:49 02 Sep 07

It's an interesting one, staff have been disciplined in our place because of excessive use of the Internet when they should be working and staff have had some explaining to do when they are presented with the logs. I think companies policies should be reinforced occasionally. There is a line in the policy that states "reasonable use" 6 hours out of an 8 hour shift is quite unreasonable in anyone's eyes and not knowing the policy is not an excuse because it's there for everyone to read, well it is in our place anyway, typically nobody reads anything do they?

Forum Editor 22:39 02 Sep 07

who runs a medium sized company with around 400 employees says the way some people use the internet at work is "akin to making a personal phone call for the entire day, interrupting it from time to time to do a bit of work"

He has placed an absolute ban on using the web for personal reasons during working hours, although staff can surf away as much as they like during their breaks. All internet use is logged.

spikeychris 23:19 02 Sep 07

The BBC link refers to personal freedom to access the net, it’s not tech related and assumes all websites fit the same criteria. SN sites are so resource hungry they do affect how the net is streamed, I couldn’t do my job without Internet access so a lockdown wouldn’t work for me but why someone feels they have a right to access SN sites at work is beyond me – during break times or whist working. Restricted access will happen I’m sure.

robgf 00:10 03 Sep 07

Employees are paid to work, not play, so with the exceptions of those careers such as journalism, that need internet access for research, no internet access should be permitted.
After discovering that the office workers at my place of work couldn't be trusted to behave responsibly, internet access was withdrawn from all but one terminal, based in the bosses office.

We also have a blanket ban on the use of mobile phones, outside of break time. Introduced because people were abusing the privilege.

We all like the occasional laugh at work, but spending time playing on the internet when you should be working is irresponsible and childish.

BT 07:37 03 Sep 07

I thoroughly agree that Internet usesge should not be allowed to all employees. There is no question of 'Personal Freedom' or 'Rights'. Why on earth should employers foot the bill so that employees can pursue non employment related activities during work time.
If a job requires Internet access, that should be controlled and limited to whatever is required by the job.
When I was working, before I retired, we were give computer rights which consisted of access to those parts of the Company's software that we needed to use, and Email. Internet access was only available to certain people who needed it and was password protected.
Similarly, all outgoing phone calls were logged to prevent abuse, and direct dialled overseas calls were blocked except to Company numbers.

DrScott 10:17 03 Sep 07

or reduces productivity, then steps should be taken.

If there is no work to do, yet you're required to be at work, is surfing the net any different from reading a book?

Chegs ®™ 11:56 03 Sep 07

I know of several people who play online games at work,minimising it whenever there appears to be a "boss" about.Some have also said ingame that they play @ work as the game files are huge so they downloaded it at work as there they have access to a faster connection than they have at home.If that isnt abuse,then SN sites arent either.If I was the boss then they'd have to explain why SN/gaming is necessary during worktime or I'd be looking for a way to restrict their internet access solely to work related use or another more trustworthy employee.

spikeychris 12:01 03 Sep 07

What net admins do with their own servers is up to them but a myspace profile can literally pull hundreds of DNS lookups, all running in the background draining resources. Blocking these sites should be standard operating procedure.

Belatucadrus 15:03 03 Sep 07

My last employers were very selective, all PC users had access to the company Intrantet, but access to the Internet was very tightly controlled, if you couldn't put up a business case for having it, you didn't get it and anybody found abusing it was firmly squished. Which seems entirely fair to me as we'd all read and signed terms of use documents for the PCs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009