Bad Mushroom Year?

morddwyd 19:25 PM 16 Oct 11

Has this been a bad mushroom year?

Most years I mange to get a few, but this year I've seen nothing.

I'm talking about the ordinary common field mushroom, not the more exotic types.

spuds 20:55 PM 16 Oct 11

Perhaps off subject, but a few years ago we bought one of those mushroom tub kits from a garden centre. For some reason or another, the contents and remains where deposited at the bottom of the garden. Every year since, we have had a crop at various times, but we wouldn't fancy eating what pops-up. All yellow mushroom shaped looking clusters.

Tried digging up, putting Jeyes fluid down, but whatever they are, they are winning the battle.

Aitchbee 21:04 PM 16 Oct 11

I think the low temperature of the ground, and the variance of the weather has stunted the growth of some vegetables, fruits and fungi. I am optimistic, that next year will see a bourgening of last year's 'failures'.

Quickbeam 21:48 PM 16 Oct 11

Plenty of fungi when on I'm out with the dog, but none that I'd dare to eat...

Forum Editor 23:30 PM 16 Oct 11

I usually get about three Sunday breakfasts worth of field mushrooms from one corner of my lawn. This year the harvest has been poor - two breakfasts.

Hope springs eternal - there's always next year.

Covergirl 12:27 PM 17 Oct 11

I've not seen anything in the fields either - well, nothing resembling edible field or horse mushrooms.

The 2 kits of spawn I "planted" have yielded nothing either - see this earlier thread

I was out on a walk the other day and noticed lots of different fungi on the lake district fells - nothing edible of course. Also one of those fairy mushrooms (red with white spots) in the woods.

There is a large patch of fungi growing by a local footpath - almost a ring of them. They look a bit like honey fungus but that's just from what a fungi images search found on Google.

ams4127 16:55 PM 17 Oct 11

I have never seen so many mushrooms as I have this year. I have picked, eaten or given away, several shopping bags full of them from our golf course here at RAF Valley, on Anglesey. Loads of plums in the garden but a very poor apple crop.

We've had a lovely dry summer.

morddwyd 20:59 PM 17 Oct 11

Glad to hear Valley is producing well.

St Mawgan used to be fantastic, rarely had to go more than fifty metres, or yards in those days, to get a bagful.

Got the biggest horse mushroom I've ever seen there, up on the old Trebelzue site, must have been nigh on two foot across, and still very tasty.

Covergirl 21:02 PM 17 Oct 11

There's always one . . . LoL There has to be !!

Well, that's me hols booked in Anglesey. I'll be taking the trailer :)

Phil_Kernow 20:53 PM 30 Nov 11

Ok, this is weird but I found a giant horsemushoom today at work and thought I would Google "largest horse mushroom" and this forum poppId up in the results. The funny thing is that I currently work at RAF St Mawgan and the site where I found it is called Trebelzue!

Still growing monster mushrooms! Phil

morddwyd 06:52 AM 01 Dec 11

Good old Trebelzue, still doing the business!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week