Bad Eggs?

morddwyd 09:43 25 Mar 14

I have just found half a dozen eggs in the bottom of the frig which have been there since before Christmas.

Am correct in assuming that if they smell aright they actually are aright?

Aitchbee 09:54 25 Mar 14

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. 2 or 3 weeks past the date-stamp, imprinted on the egg-shell, would be my limit, for eggs kept in the fridge ... after 3 months it's best to bin 'em, I reckon.

spuds 09:56 25 Mar 14

In our household out of date eggs stored in the fridge is the norm. Never had a 'bad' one yet, and as you say, the smell will no doubt confirm any duds!.

Not so sure about duck eggs, because they are suppose to be more susceptible to nasty bugs!.

spuds 09:57 25 Mar 14

Forgot to mention that Edwina Curry might have the answer, she was once the expert of eggs :O)

john bunyan 10:04 25 Mar 14

As long as they smell ok and you cook them (no using them raw) they should be fine. Salmonella is common and easily killed by heat.

wiz-king 10:09 25 Mar 14

They wont fry well, the yolks will be flat.

spuds 10:25 25 Mar 14

Perhaps the solution? click here

morddwyd 10:26 25 Mar 14

Thank you all.

As I thought.

Just a comment on duck eggs - hey have porous shells and bearing in mind where they're usually laid, faecal contamination is common. They must be well cooked.

Forum Editor 11:34 25 Mar 14

Official advice is that eggs can safely be kept in a fridge for up to a month and still be good for consumption. After that you should proceed with caution.

Quickbeam 12:09 25 Mar 14

I was expecting a post on Terry Thomas.

Aitchbee 18:04 25 Mar 14

Another cautionary warning on 'duck eggs' - any racehorse with 6 'duck eggs' in front of it's name is best to be avoided.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac