Bad Driving

Colin 13:14 04 Feb 09

I know that there are frequent posts about bad driving but there appears to me to be something new that I have noticed over the last 6 months or so. I drive on many motorways and dual carriageways that are accessed by a slip road. I have noticed that many drivers entering the road do not give way to the traffic already on the road and try to barge their way on, often resulting in the traffic in the inside lane having to brake. As far as I’m aware the broken white line on entering a road means give way, not drive straight on without looking.
Common courtesy usually means that if you see a vehicle entering the road is to pull out into the next lane to allow them to enter, but you can’t do that if the other lane is already occupied. I have witnessed quite a few near misses where a car entering a road has simply carried on as if they have right of way. I’m sure I’m not alone in noticing this.

Also, traffic lights – amber is the same as green and red means at least 3 more cars can go through!

spuds 13:50 04 Feb 09

The problem might have something to do with tunnel vision and the readiness to get somewhere fast.

Only the other week I was using a motorway slip road, with a rather large HGV tailgating. The question that day, was do I stop, possibly slow down (in hope!) or do I push forward?.

Regarding traffic lights, it is becoming more noticeable (in my area at least), that some driver's on approaching change of light pattern, tend to perhaps ignore this event. Even some police forces are stating that cameras at traffic lights or speed cameras are no longer being loaded due to aftercare and expense.

kindly 14:09 04 Feb 09

What I see a lot lately is people running around with thier fog lights on in good clear weather. Dont they read the highway code. You are supposed to use them when the weather is bad visability. I guess them people cannot read and are just reckless and dont think about other people. The front one are bad enough, but the rear ones can be dangerous. They can cut your vision down quite a bit.
As far as motorway driving goes, people dont look ahead and think of whats coming up. You see the sign for a slip road off, so you are 99% sure that one will be entering the motorway. So why when people are overtaking and see that sign, do they not hang back a few yard and if you get one of them idiots just pulling onto the motorway, the driver in the nearside lane can pull out to let them in.
Makes sense to me, I would rather them get away from me and let me be safe. They can go and have an accident somewhere else. We dont own that bit of road we drive on so just chill out and be considerate.

Clapton is God 15:14 04 Feb 09

And in the last few days with the snow (and reduced visibility) we've had, it's interesting to see the number of people driving around with their lights on.

Nothing wrong with that, you say. However, many of these people haven't actually bothered to clear away the snow which is covering the lights, thus rendering the lights virtually useless!

Even more brain-dead than that is the many people driving around with a good few inches of snow still covering the rear window.

The mentality of some drivers is beyond me.

Picklefactory 15:20 04 Feb 09

Too true, I also see that slip road issue regularly, particularly, but not solely, in truck drivers who don't wish to surrender the head of steam they've managed to build up, and just assume that sheer bulk will facilitate a space to miraculously open. (Which in truth, it often does when a timid driver is intimidated, but that should not be taken as right)

No offence meant WTM if you visit this thread, but it is pretty common in my experience.

Picklefactory 15:32 04 Feb 09

.. anotehr I see regularly, due to the expanding system of 'traffic calming' in my area, is where there are local roads with narrowed ramp features, which are clearly marked as to which direction has right of way. I see these blatantly ignored by the vast majority of drivers. There are a set on the main access road to my house, and the common reaction is 'If the guy in front of me goes, then we're all going too' regardless of whether there is oncoming traffic who should have ROW. Makes it all pretty pointless really.

And those daft little painted traffic islands, how people don't get killed at those is a mystery to me, I've seen so many near misses where people who remember the road prior to the islands arrival, simply ignore it and plough through it, at pace, where the old right of way existed.

Clapton is God
"The mentality of some drivers is beyond me."
Hear! Hear!

Chegs ®™ 15:32 04 Feb 09

My Dads party piece was to scrape a hole in the condensation/snow/ice on the windscreen about 6" round.No interest in cleaning lights and swore he was the worlds best driver cuz "I've been driving for 30yrs without having an accident"This was a lie as he wrote off a mates car in canada,was the qualified driver teaching my brother to drive when the 40mph sign was flattened,reversed into/nudged into just about every car in town,fell asleep at the wheel onroute to spain & wrecked the car driving into the ditch on a french motorway at 70mph,was sideswiped by a car on his way home from work,etc etc etc.He even argued with a policeman that stopped him for a breath test that the reason for the wandering about the highway was due to the road having bends(he wasnt drink driving though)I had the misfortune to meet him coming the other way and because he was so far over the white line I damaged a wheel on the kerb avoiding him.I went home & was livid about this incident and he simply claimed "I never saw you" as if that meant I was in the wrong.

natdoor 16:54 04 Feb 09

The highway code is a little ambiguous on the matter of joining a motorway. One should give priority to traffic already on the motorway but adjust one's speed to slot into the traffic flow on the left hand lane.

Considering the impossibilty of entering the traffic flow if forced to stop in the slip road, I believe that it is necessary for the traffic in the left hand lane to adjust relative speed so that a longer gap is produced into which one can slot. In my view any driver not prepared to show this degree of courtesy at a time of enhanced danger should not have a licence

Colin 18:43 04 Feb 09

natdoor - I take your point, but from what I've witnessed, the drivers joining the road make no attempt to adjust their speed and are entering the main road too quickly. The comment about vehicles already on the main road adjusting their speed is valid but not to the point where they have to brake because the joining driver is going too fast. If they were to adjust their speed then they can easily slot into the traffic.

bluto1 19:19 04 Feb 09

I agree with you The problem is that far too many drivers lack the ability to think.

Colin 19:28 04 Feb 09

bluto1 - you've got that right. A lot of drivers don't seem to be able to look beyond the end of their bonnet and indicators are just used to create instant parking spaces by using them as hazard lights.

Picklefactory - there are quite a few roads round here of the type you mentioned. I wonder what these people are in such a hurry for? They must be really important!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now