bad advise for win98se

pulteny 17:38 06 Mar 10

Sorry this is computer related!
I am a old silver surfer, went to one of the online answer sites about the best anti-virous free program for above OP system. A few answers were helpful. Yes there are still a few of us who use this old system. XP will soon be old?

One reply I got was that as Win9x is so old the bad guys no longer write viruses or trogens,wormes that affect it and so no protection is necessary.

I think this is very bad advise.What does the people standing on soap boxes at the corner think?
Some old person might find your answers helpfull.
Regards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:12 06 Mar 10

Win9x is so old the bad guys no longer write viruses or trogens,wormes that affect it

"No longer" are the operative words
win 98 is still full of holes and the old viruses and worms are still out there, so get protected and updated click here

Devil Fish 18:24 06 Mar 10

the fact that is is so old in O/S terms makes it more vunerable than newer itterations as it is no longer supported or patched

if you are still running 98 and using it on the net

Av and firewall would be minimum security requirements in my opinion

p;3 18:45 06 Mar 10

to assist you ; One of my computers is on Win98SE; it has avast 4Home antivirus protection on it which updates each time I go on line and while I am on line; I also have Superantispyware as my Malware protection and I use its Home page hijacker protection; I do not update the program but merely the definitions

I had been told that Google will not support IE6 but it seems to still do so

Also you cannot use browsers younger that IE6 on it

I think many people are bemused that folks still run Win 98SE but it is user choice

The problem will come when there is no antivirus cover for it but so far Avast still supports it.....

pulteny 02:48 08 Mar 10

regards to those who replied "fruit bat"often helps with usefull information.I know there is life after Win 9x but why do we need SO much life?
All the best to you and yours.

pulteny 02:48 08 Mar 10

regards to those who replied "fruit bat"often helps with usefull information.I know there is life after Win 9x but why do we need SO much life?
All the best to you and yours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017