Backup/Restore Madness

JYPX 20:18 14 Dec 05

The Official Acronis True Image forums appear to be full of disgruntled users of TI9 who are finding that their pc's are up the spout because of recovery failures. Most of these users appear to acknowledge that they had no problems whatsoever with the previous (final) version - TI8. Does anyone else feel puzzled at this urge to ditch a piece of software that works perfectly, or to put it another way, if an application performs a backup/restore operation, every time, perfectly, then in what way would an "improvement" be required? Do you want your backup software to be 100% reliable or do you want bells and whistles? One of the new features of TI9 is the ability to access your C drive during the restore process - I kid you not. Yes - they have identified a group of customers who are unable to wait 15 minutes for the drive to restore.....

rowdy 20:58 14 Dec 05

I purchased Acronis for the first time two months ago and at that time the problems with True Image Nine were well known and the Acronis Forum was full of it.

Reading it all I opted for True Image Eight which had a good track record and was being sold off at roughly half price.

All Software Companies are caught in the trap of needing to produce new versions to maintain sales volume and keep up with competitors. This invariable results in bloatware full of perceived ' improvements '. Prior to this I had used Drive Image in various versions for years.

When it was bought by Norton and combined with Ghost the result was predictable a camel so I looked for a better product.

Acronis True Image Eight does all I need and I doubt that I will be tempted to upgrade again.

VoG II 20:59 14 Dec 05

Tales of recovery failures with Acronis were exactly the reason why I decided to get Norton Ghost. Despite Acronis coming bundled with my external HDD and my general dislike of Norton products.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…