"Background" Music

laurie53 05:43 21 Oct 08

What is it with television producers and so called "background" music?

I've got used to missing a lot of the dialogue in dramas because of intrusive music, but the other day it was even playing during the football results for heaven's sake, with the usual heavy bass beat dominating the whole broadcast.

natdoor 08:53 21 Oct 08

I find the same thing. However, I don't recall this being a problem years ago! Have they changed or have I? I know that my high frequency hearing has deteriorated somewhat and I find that the grandchildren can happily watch TV with the volume at a level at which I struggle to hear, background music or not. I don't think I need a hearing aid yet but could be wrong. There must be a fair percentage of the audience who are in my position and I feel that the sound engineers could strike a better balance between dialogue and background effects.

hssutton 08:55 21 Oct 08

I've almost given up watching TV for the reason you have given. I tried watching a repeat of "Waking the Dead" last night, but lost complete track of the plot due to the heavy background music.

I do have a slight hearing impairment, but can hear the dialogue quite easily until the music starts.

rawprawn 09:32 21 Oct 08

I feel the same way about superimposed laughter and clapping on comedy programs. Do they really think we can't make our own mind up as to what amuses us?

Weskit 09:47 21 Oct 08

What most annoys me on our local (Somerset) radio is the way the presenters intersperse every few words with a snatch of music, they obviously have a slider volume control that they can't keep their hands off. Do other local radio channels do this?

Ex plorer 10:05 21 Oct 08

I would like to see the next generation of TVs with a button on the remote to remove background noise,
The best remedy for me was a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones that improved listening no end, but you must keep the surround sound turned off on the unit and its a big improvement.
Next we will be getting background music while the news is read.

skeletal 10:53 21 Oct 08

I love music, but if I want to listen to it, I listen to it. I must be one of a very small breed who hates background music when I am working, or visiting shops. Indeed, I assume the god awful racket that many shops employ is there to get rid of the punters as quickly as possible.

I thus apply this hatred to the background to speech in films/programmes. It is OK when it adds to the scene (e.g. the famous Jaws music), but when people speak, for heavens sake turn it off!

Our local radio station (radio WM) turns on a dreadful racket during the travel information and some listeners complained. The response was that the producers wanted to make the travel stand out and be a bit edgy, or in my terms, make it harder to understand and tempt you to change channels.

I also can’t understand why so many people listen constantly to thing like iPods, at a volume that will make them lose their hearing many years prematurely. There are a few articles appearing in the papers about this “new scientific discovery” [iPod hearing loss]. I can report that I studied hearing loss due to excessive sound in the early ‘70s; so much for “new”!

Grumpy old Skeletal

laurie53 12:00 21 Oct 08

"Next we will be getting background music while the news is read."

Already happening, particularly during summaries.

spuds 12:21 21 Oct 08

I was once talking to a commercial airline pilot about his views and annoyances within his job. One remark he made, was that if his plane had landed rather heavily and on his quick departure, he could still hear the background music coming from the cabin interior.That would really annoy him.

jack 12:30 21 Oct 08

And the programme producers simply ignore it it seems.
I wonder sometimes if the musicians union has an input here insisting an orchestra is employed in every production.
Have you not noticed in a chat show- there is view in the back ground is an orchestra.
As for shops it makes me want to be in and out double quick - no chance of a browse and an 'impulse buy' from me.
Do you remember the 'Tandy' stores?
I visited the one in our mall to make a purchase and the sounds were screaming out into the mall
The shop was empty and the worker[assistant/manager?]
was hovering by the door.
I beckoned him out ans shouted over the din- if they had the item in stock- he pointed to a rack - So I told him in no uncertain terms if he wanted me in his shop to get that racket turned off. - He did of course.

Some time ago in response the the background noise complaint the BBC did run a couple of episodes the Alan Titchmarsh Great Britain series on digital without the background music.

And in response to the constant rhubarb rhubarb of characters speaking with back to audience - we invested in wireless headphones for each of us.
It did not make the much difference in that particular situation- perhaps they do say Rhubarb Rhubarb- with back to audience or walking along an echoing corridor
But otherwise those phones were distinct improvement over the tiny TV speaker - facing to the side instead of in front.

peter99co 13:25 21 Oct 08

Classic FM during Traffic and Travel. How are you able to hear the detail and understand it all?

BBC Summaries have those awful rolling drums that seem to play for ever.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…