Back to school on Monday?

Forum Editor 09:54 10 Jan 10

Just under half the schools in England were closed last week because of the snow, and now the government is telling them that they should reopen if "reasonably practicable".

I drove from London to Oxford on Friday, and spent part of Saturday travelling around the side roads outside the city. It didn't seem like Siberia to me, so I wondered why it is that so many schools feel unable to do what they're there for. I don't remember my school ever closing because of snow, and we had some pretty severe weather in Yorkshire when I went to school there. We all just walked through the snow, or caught a bus - they seemed to run quite well, too.

Perhaps we're all just getting too soft/lazy these days, and perhaps teachers will jump at any chance of a few days off?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:23 10 Jan 10

Strange how people cannot get to work and children cannot get to school yet the supermarkets have always been full.

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:38 10 Jan 10

The schools around here take note of the *ahem* bad weather and of the parents *ahem* concerns when deciding to close so I can indeed say 'children cannot get to school'. Interestingly on Wednesday, when the weather was at it's worst, the hills around here were clogged with children toboganning.....probably the same ones whose parents deemed the weather to be too bad to get to school.

G

Quickbeam 10:43 10 Jan 10

My reasoning on the closed schools thread was that 40 years ago the vast majority of us worked, shopped and schooled within a few miles of home. Now we commute to work, the shops and school by many more miles.

bri-an 10:50 10 Jan 10

Surely one of the main reason for many of the closures was teachers not getting in, not pupils.
Many of them now live many miles from their place of work, modern society.
When 'blanket' closures were put in place, how would anybody know if kids could have got in or not? If closures had been specified - that's it, or should the kids have tried to get to a closed school, anyway?

bremner 10:58 10 Jan 10

Certainly where I live many parents are very annoyed that the schools are closed. Those who have emailed or phoned the schools complaining are told the decision lies soley with the head who has to consider the safety of the pupils and liability of the school.

After the first couple of days there was no difficulty getting to the schools but the school buses were still not running and the schools remained closed.

Parents then had to arrange child care or in many cases take time off work.

Forum Editor 11:02 10 Jan 10

now live many miles from their place of work, modern society."

I live many miles from some of the locations that I have to visit in the course of my work - modern society, yet I managed to get to all my appointments last week. I got to them because I need to earn a living, and because I wanted to. It wasn't always easy, in fact on one occasion it was extremely difficult, but I did it.

GANDALF <|:-)> hits the nail on the head when he talks of hillsides full of people on toboggans - presumably lots of them are teachers and parents who couldn't manage to get to work.

I accept that lots of teachers live some miles from their schools, but this is 2010 - we live in a modern society with sophisticated road and rail networks. Some roads were obviously blocked, and some trains didn't run, but I refuse to believe that conditions in England were so bad that half our schools had to be closed.

It doesn't happen on other countries, so why should it happen here? I'm driven to think that laziness and apathy are at the root of much of it.

Forum Editor 11:55 10 Jan 10

that 500 children would ever be bedded down in a school gym because they couldn't get home.

I spoke to someone who lives in Wyoming last week. he said that they routinely have two feet of snow in winter, and often five feet, yet everyone gets to school and to work all through the winter, The reason is of course preparedness - they know the snow will come and they're geared up for it.

In this country we tend to operate on the basis that we'll get away with it - we know that we'll probably get some snow during the winter, but we reckon we'll manage somehow. We'll have stories about no trains and blocked roads, but we believe we can muddle through, so we face each winter in an unprepared state.

The government and local authorities knew that we were unprepared, but they seem to have done nothing about it - hoping perhaps that trouble wouldn't arise.

skeletal 13:06 10 Jan 10

I have made several comments on the other thread, but the latest is that we don’t know if my son’s school will be open tomorrow for all pupils. Last Friday it was open for older children.

Interestingly, in terms of “elf & safety”, the pavements around here are still as slippery as they were when all the fuss started; so, in theory, if it was too dangerous then, it is too dangerous now.

Amusingly, I note that some children are going on a trip to the Snow Dome for skiing lessons in a couple of days. Parents are advised that their children “must have warm clothes and gloves”.

Skeletal

Bapou 14:07 10 Jan 10

This morning, met a young mother on my way back from the newsagents. We both passed comments on this that and tother about the weather and the families when she commented, her 12 year old son was fed with sledging and such and wanted to be back at school.

Talk about gobsmacked, I was speechless, fed up with sledging! Is that really possible these days?

Seems so, this lad was not the only one, a call to my family and the two grandsons are champing at the bit to get back to school.

We certainly do live in different times.

Picklefactory 15:22 10 Jan 10

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…