Back to the past or forward to the future?

Cymro. 12:44 10 May 08

click here
So it seems that the Roman Catholic Church has set up section of it`s website that it in Latin.

As I usually find myself a critic of the R.C. Church I now wonder is this new R.C. Latin section of it`s website a step in to the future or a step back to the past?

tasslehoff burrfoot 12:47 10 May 08

Neither?

It's a tradition that Catholic communications are in Latin, it's not something I've ever thought about but now that it has been brought to my attention I am astonished this didn't exist previously.

wee eddie 13:06 10 May 08

that are spoken within the Catholic Church ~ This makes considerable sense

Pesala 18:24 10 May 08

Mass hysteria, more likely.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:09 10 May 08

I am deliriously happy that 6 years studying Latin at school has now become a useful tool in my life's journey. Da mihi sis bubulae frustrum assae, solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta, ac quassum lactatum coagulatum crassum!

G

Weskit 19:22 10 May 08

Something about potatoes?

newman35 19:46 10 May 08

Naw, sounds like his milk's gone off!

VCR97 19:55 10 May 08

"solana tuberosa in modo gallico fricta" French fries?

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:15 10 May 08

correct!

G

Forum Editor 21:12 10 May 08

I endured years of Latin study at school. It was called a dead language then, and it's called a dead language now, but it has one big thing going for it as far as language lovers are concerned - it's an exquisitely precise language. Study Latin and you'll improve your English grammar; you'll also know more about the origins of everyday words in your own language - over fifty percent of all English words are derived from Latin.

Read translations of speeches that were made by some Roman senators and you'll realise just how eloquent a language Latin can be. I'm delighted to see that it is enjoying a bit of a revival in popularity, I confess I never realised you could say 'milkshake' in Latin. I must get the old textbooks out; ego sum lubricus.

belfman 21:17 10 May 08

Good comment!

...made me smile :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…