Baby born 60 years ago

WhiteTruckMan 00:27 21 Jun 08

click here

And hasn't it come a long way.

Wonder what the next 60 years will bring.

WTM

Forum Editor 01:02 21 Jun 08

with which modern technology progresses is the fact that today's average mobile phone has a far greater processing power than the machine in your link.

so manchester invented the computer?

Forum Editor 01:10 21 Jun 08

No, it developed the first digital computer capable of storing a programme electronically.

jakimo 01:21 21 Jun 08

I first saw the "baby" on a Pathe News Reel in a cinema,it just looked like a load of tangled cables not doing anything,and wished it would get on with what ever it was going to do so that the feature film could start.

Never thought I would be writing about it 60 yrs on

Simsy 09:18 21 Jun 08

it says this;

"The key to this ability was its memory, built from a cathode ray tube (CRT), which could be used to store a program."

Surely that's not correct, is it?

Regards,

Simsy

oh ok, still every days a school day, i would never have guessed that at a pub quiz.

Forum Editor 09:53 21 Jun 08

Yes, it is. An electron beam 'wrote' small charges as 0 or 1 on the cathode ray tube's phosphor coating. These charges decayed rapidly, so the developers used a technique called regeneration to read and write the charges continuously, so the information could be retained, and displayed as white dots on the screen.

The screens they used were tiny and circular, about six inches across, but by the end of 1947 the process had advanced to the point where it was storing 2048 bits on a screen that size.

Simsy 13:57 21 Jun 08

Interesting!

Regards,

Simsy

WhiteTruckMan 15:02 21 Jun 08

I think so too.

WTM

anchor 17:06 21 Jun 08

For those interested in early computing, a visit to Bletchley Park is a "must"!.

There you can see a reconstructed Colossus in operation. This really is the grandfather of all electronic computers.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…