Babies Eyes!

Pine Man 13:15 28 Jan 09

I have a new grand-daughter - ahhhhhh!

She is tiny and yesterday my older brother (who knows everything!) visited and said 'did you know that babies don't have knee caps?' He was right they don't and I certainly didn't know that.

His next statement was that when babies are born their eyeballs stay the same size for the rest of their lives!!!! Long arguments ensued and much bashing of keys on the computer but no definitive answer was found.

Come on guys there are all sorts of 'experts' out there, does anybody know the answer?

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:25 28 Jan 09

According to the text General Ophthalmology (Vaughan, Asbury and Riordan-Eva, Appleton & Lange, Stamford, 1999), the size of the eyeball at birth averages 16.5 mm in diameter (front to back measurement). In adults, the diameter is 24.2 mm. They go on to say that maximum eye size is reached when a person is 7-8 years old.

G

Pine Man 13:36 28 Jan 09

Thank you very much you have made new a grand-father very happy!

Cymro. 15:02 28 Jan 09

Just consider yourself lucky that you don`t have eight of the little darlings to sort out.

Simsy 10:11 29 Jan 09

however, they may not have have turned to "bone"...

You may have heard of the muscles commonly called "quads"; These are in front of the thigh. In fact "quads" is short for "quadriceps" meaning "4 headed"... The "quads" is/are actually 4 muscles on the top/front of the thigh. Their job is to straigten the leg from a knee bent position... although the quads attach at their upper ends in different places to the thigh bone, (Femur), just above the knee, they all blend lower down into a single tendon. This tendon attaches to the top of the shin bone, (Tibia), just below the knee, at a very obvious bony point...

The knee joint itself, under the surface, is quite irregular shaped. What the "kneecap", (Patella), does, is act as a kind of sliding pivot for the tendon as the joint moves, stoping the tendon from snagging.

The Patella is actually embedded in the tendon. When a human is very young, eg a baby, the patella itself is made of material very similar to what the tendon is made of...

Hence it doesn't show easily on xrays. It "ossifies", (turns to bone), with time.

But it is there, even on babies!

To find your own, ([email protected] TRY THIS ON A BABY!!), have your leg strait out in from of you, (or slightly bent), but with you muscels relaxed. The Patella is triangular shaped, with rounded corners, pointing toward the toes. It's typically about 5cm top to bottom. If the leg is relaxed it's quite easy to move it about, side to side.

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 10:17 29 Jan 09

here;
click here

Regards,

Simsy

Pineman100 17:14 29 Jan 09

Many congratulations on the arrival of Pine Girl.

Whether she's got kneecaps and big eyes may be a matter for discussion, but - speaking as one who has three grandchildren under four years old - I can assure you of two of her physical attributes...

...a loud noise at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.

And she will, of course, possess the ability to wrap her grandad around her little finger.

Pine Man 18:55 29 Jan 09

Many thanks for the congratulations.

I wasn't sure at first but she grows on you, and does all sorts of other things on you. Also I seem to get a loud noise from both ends on occasion!

oresome 19:07 29 Jan 09

Congratulations.

I think it's true that a baby's eyes are large in relation to it's size and it's a feature that makes them attractive to adults.

It's a fact that hasn't gone unnoticed with the female of the species who go to considerable trouble to enlarge the appearance of their eyes with cosmetics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now