The axe is soon to fall at the BBC

TopCat® 13:32 18 Oct 07

Drastic measures are announced on the future of the BBC with strike action threatened if voluntary redundancies are called for tomorrow. TC. click here

simonjary 13:44 18 Oct 07

It would be nice if it scrapped rubbish like the National Lottery Show, smug Nigella Bloody Lawson, three or four of its Car Boot Auction programmes, rip-offs of C4 property shows, Graham Norton, and a raft of BBC3 stuff ('Dog Borstal' anyone? This reminds me of Alan Partridge's idea for 'Monkey Tennis', which surely would be on BBC3 today), etc.

That would not only save money but maybe the nation's sanity, too.

HondaMan 14:58 18 Oct 07

They could also do with a salary revision DOWNWARDS for all those very overpaid, and in some cases half-baked presenters. Having said that, I watch so little BBC now because of the amount of rubbish content that they could scrap it altogether.

ventanas 15:15 18 Oct 07

Every now and then they come up with a real gem such as Bleak House and Rome. The current effort is the Tudors. When they do these sort of programs they are far, far better than any other channel. They make the licence fee worth every penny. But are they now to come to an end?

it seems to me that the method of funding via a licence fee is no longer viable. Perhaps it's time to open the doors to advertising, if there is enough to go around. At leaves gives you a chance to make a cup of tea mid programme.

But I was surprised to learn of some of the salaries certain staff are paid. Well over 100k, and still not enough to keep them there.

ventanas 15:33 18 Oct 07

Following on having read the report again, it's a relief to see that Horizon is safe. I can only hope they get rid of the abundance of rubbish that they churn out daily such as soaps (all of them are utter trash), anything that involves viewer participation and phone voting and all the ridiculous programmes involving people either buying or selling homes, antiques etc. What is the point of these?

Forum Editor 15:53 18 Oct 07

and I imagine there's a degree of tension in the air at the moment.

I'm with simonjary on the subject of Nigella - she inhabits a different planet to the one I know and love, but in general I still think that the BBC puts out some very high-quality stuff. As I understand it, the intention is to amalgamate the online and broadcast news teams into one unit, and that seems to make sense, as does the plan to scrap around £100 million of programming in the factual department. That should mean fewer inane cookery programmes (farewell Nigella) and a reduction in what I call the 'milking' schedules - series (like The apprentice) that are good the first time around, quite good the second time, but a bit desperate by the time we get to series three.

I think we'll continue to see quality drama - more of it - and what BBC staff call 'The crown jewels' like Planet Earth.

Most viewers and listeners will probably not notice a great deal of difference, but a lot of money will be saved.

spikeychris 15:58 18 Oct 07

"Most viewers and listeners will probably not notice a great deal of difference"

I will - I'm one of those soon to lose their job.

crosstrainer 16:01 18 Oct 07

Are having a meeting as we speak, It seems they are to consider industrial action....Solve the Post Office Strike, and now the BBC are at it.

In my view, they have produced very little in the way of quality programming over the last 4-5 years, and frankly I wonder each month when I get my bank statement what the hell I'm actually getting for my money.

anskyber 16:29 18 Oct 07

One report suggested that the factual programmes like Planet Earth will be in line for scrapping. It could be we will go down the populist inane route of cheap to make quiz and reality programmes. I hope not.

The BBC has been greatly successful at providing it's "core value" programmes in the past and let's hope it continues. I think (I could be wrong) it's a 3% cut in costs so actually it should be manageable.

I dislike at times like this picking on the smaller examples of potential waste because it's never as simple as that, but I have always found it strange when the main studio news presenters are sent off to the other side of the world for some items when there are already correspondents available in the country in question.

ray7 17:04 18 Oct 07

Why does ot require TWO presenters for the news. Surely its not a lot to ask for one to go solo

Forum Editor 17:43 18 Oct 07

I'm extremely sorry to hear that Chris - I wasn't aware that any redundancies had actually been announced yet.

My comment was about viewers and listeners though, I didn't really mean to include BBC staff in that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…