AV Explained

zzzz999 05:56 AM 05 May 11

This makes it clear for me

Quickbeam 08:17 AM 05 May 11

Clear as chilled beer.

canarieslover 09:59 AM 05 May 11

Best explanation that I've seen!!!

johndrew 11:39 AM 05 May 11

Probably works when deciding on the winners of track events in the Olympics as well?? :-))

OTT_B 12:46 PM 05 May 11

Can anyone post a direct link? Work firewall is blocking it!

Quickbeam 13:05 PM 05 May 11
  Joseph Kerr 16:55 PM 05 May 11

Is it just the one page or am I missing something? I know how AV goes after that point (I think), but that page doesn't actually tell you.

lotvic 20:17 PM 05 May 11

Joseph Kerr, One page, Nothing complicated - 10 people voting the FPTP way (not AV):

7 want to go to various pubs, 3 (30%) want to go to coffee shop. FPTP is coffee shop (3 people) so 7 (70%) don't get what they want.

It illustrates why FPTP is not fair.

Woolwell 20:40 PM 05 May 11

The cartoon is actually misleading. The cartoon assumes that all the pubs are the same. In politics the same situation would be 4 politicians from one party (beer) and 1 from the other (coffee).

Joseph Kerr 23:24 PM 05 May 11

lotvic, woolwell makes my point in a roundabout way.

it does indeed explain why fptp is not fair, but it does not go on to say that if two of those who originally wanted coffee then went for the Kings Head, the Lion or the Castle, that pub would then have 50% of the vote, so it would be the winner.

My points being that A) the page did not elaborate on how AV works and, B) the pubs are not the same.

Joseph Kerr 23:32 PM 05 May 11

I just noticed my explanation of AV above is flawed.

However, the pubs are not the same and the illustration falls short of explaining that and the process in general.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know