this author advocates hitting children

finerty 15:53 14 Nov 13

maybe the author needs a verbal spanking and a victorian talk]

lotvic 16:12 14 Nov 13

I was going to ask for a link, but please don't give one. If anyone wants to know about the book google for 'To Train Up A Child' by Debi and Michael Pearl.

This drivel contains parenting methods that involve the physical abuse of children and babies from a few months old.

bumpkin 16:27 14 Nov 13

"This drivel contains parenting methods that involve the physical abuse of children and babies from a few months old."

If that is indeed the case then we do not want a link (as you say) publicizing it, better the authors fade away and crawl back under their stones.

wiz-king 17:34 14 Nov 13

I find it strange that we are happy to watch a lioness with cubs give one a cuff if it gets annoying but are horrified if a human does the same thing.

woodchip 18:12 14 Nov 13

Nothing wrong with discipline when young but there are different ways of administering it, Spanking never killed no one "if its not done in anger" if its done in anger you are only teaching the child to be the same get angry and take it out on some one. If you do not train children then wait for Plod to come knocking on the door saying that your little johnny as got into trouble with the law

bumpkin 18:32 14 Nov 13

I don't see anything wrong with smacking a child providing that it is used occasionally as a shock to show them they are doing wrong, it should not be done hard or in temper to cause pain.

lotvic 19:01 14 Nov 13

partial quote from interview, (from transcripts.cnn.com):

TUCHMAN: Let's say a 7-year-old slugs his sister.

M. PEARL: He would get -- a 7-year-old would get 10 or 15 licks, and it would be a formal thing. In other words, you maintain your patient air. You explain to him that what he's done is violent and that that's not acceptable in society, and it's not acceptable at home. And then I would take him somewhere, like into his bedroom, and I would tell him I'm going to give him 15 licks.

TUCHMAN: With what?

M. PEARL: Probably a belt on a kid that big, a boy. I'd probably use a belt. It would be handy. I might use a wooden spoon or a piece of, like, plumbing supply line a quarter-inch in diameter, flexible enough to roll up.

bumpkin 20:15 14 Nov 13

Lotvic, to my mind that is premeditated abuse. I used to get a sudden "clip round the ear" now and again when I deserved it, no belts, no planned punishment routines, did me no harm just taught me a bit of respect.

The very terminology like 15 licks I find abhorrent.

bumpkin 20:17 14 Nov 13

Lotvic, to my mind that is premeditated abuse. I used to get a sudden "clip round the ear" now and again when I deserved it, no belts, no planned punishment routines, did me no harm just taught me a bit of respect.

The very terminology like 15 licks I find abhorrent.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:22 14 Nov 13

Great, teach a child that the way to deal with violence is further violence.

A quote from a review on Amazon: "This drivel contains instructions on how to 'break' a child by beating them until they no longer resist your blows. This filthy rag is an instruction manual on child abuse in the name of a made up religion."

woodchip 21:53 14 Nov 13

Mr Mistoffelees

So what you are saying is that we all do our own thing and to hell with anybody that thinks different, next time some kids run over the top of your car or throw rocks through your window, frighten old people, who and what will you do or blame. Even on this forum we have to abide by rules, if not you get the cane from FE. But as I said above, anybody that that gets pleasure from just hitting a child as missed the full point of what is being said. as above there are many and varied ways of administrating punishment, some a lot more effective than hitting, but this also depends on the child as some do not seem to get the message first time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5