An attractive funeral package is being offered

Pesala 23:32 31 Oct 07

That should be a great encouragment to take a job in Baghdad click here

Lol: It didn't really say that, but that's what I thought it said the first time I read it. What it says is actually, "An attractive financial package is being offered."

I had visions of deceased staff members being given a prime plot in their local cemetery on their return.

Earthsea 01:09 01 Nov 07

'If too few volunteer, some will be forced to go to Iraq - or risk dismissal, except those exempted for medical or personal hardship reasons.'

So not wanting to die doesn't count?

I would have thought they'd have a strong case for unfair dismissal if they were sacked for refusing, but perhaps it's a contractual obligation for a diplomat.

laurie53 07:37 01 Nov 07

Do they have "unfair dismissal" in the US?

In any case I think diplomats are like soldiers, you go where you;re sent.

Pesala 08:47 01 Nov 07

I think that embassy staff should be prepared to accept some risks that other office workers would not be expected to take, just as oil-rig workers, airline pilots, police, fire crews, and others take on a daily basis. However, they are not soldiers and should not be obliged to enter a war zone. Officially, I presume, America is not fighting a war in Iraq — but you can tell that one to the marines!

HCOOH 13:26 01 Nov 07

I suppose they could include a funeral package along with the contract, an incentive could be "Buy one Get one free".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos