//some 3rd party need geo

ATM Fraud

Sir Radfordin 12:49 11 Nov 04

Is it just me or does there seem to be a link between the number of people having and using chip & pin cards and the number of reports of ATM related crime?

Is this not a case of the weakest link being the one that is most exploited? Has the problem of card fraud not just been moved from the shop to the highstreet?

Curio 17:36 11 Nov 04

The new Chip and Pin cards cannot be copied like the current Magnetic Strip variety

Sir Radfordin 17:54 11 Nov 04

The would be right, but chip and pin cards, issued in the UK at least, still have a magnetic strip which can be copied.

Dorsai 18:03 11 Nov 04

And after the mag strip has been copied, put it on a chipped card where the chip has been disabled, and then many card machines ask for it to be swiped in the normal way.

Seems to defeat the object of the chip to me.

Tenacious Green 20:40 11 Nov 04

I might be wrong, but I believe chip and pin is purely for credit/switch transaction over the counter to prevent fraudulent transactions.

ATM's still rely on the magnetic strip for information, but the problem does not lie here, it lies in the fact that the banks and building societies that have not adapted ATM's to prevent devices that capture strip information being placed on them unnoticed.

Just get in the habit of checking the card slot every time you use one to make sure no device has been placed.

kev.Ifty 23:22 11 Nov 04

If you can come up with a method to prevent this kind of fraud it would be welcomed my the ATM providers and you might even make a few quid.

I know that one financial institution modified there ATM fleet to prevent the Lebanese Loop being attached, but it was only that one!

Tenacious Green is right. Check the card reader before you put your card in. Your card should only go in about half a centimetre before the reader recognises it and opens the shutter.

Any resistance, or you find you have to push the card more than normal to get the reader to accept it, then don't use it.

Kev.

spuds 00:41 12 Nov 04
  spuds 00:47 12 Nov 04

Appologies Typing error. Correct link click here

User-312386 08:50 12 Nov 04

If you look on the ATM machine and it has something "stuck to it", which looks like a slot over a slot then DO NOT use the machine. Report it at once to the bank concerned

Forum Editor 10:44 14 Nov 04

I think the card providers realise that it will take a little time for people to get used to the fact that they must remember a PIN, and in addition it will take time for all retailers to equip with chip & PIN terminals, so they're covering the bases by retaining the magnetic strip on the first generation of Chip & PIN cards. Your second chipped card will probably come to you with no magnetic strip, so you'll have to become PIN-oriented.

I could be wrong, but that's the way I would do it. Imagine the chaos and consternation if all new chipped cards had gone out with no magnetic strip, and therefore no facility for swiping. My local Waitrose supermarket has just been completely remodelled and refitted, there are lovely new checkouts and guess what......no chip & PIN terminals.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…