Articulated Ladders

avesnes1 16:43 18 Aug 08

Has anyone any experience of this type of ladder?
They normally have three sets of hinges and a steel platform is usually available. The hinges allow all sorts of shapes to be formed and I notice they seem to come in two sizes (fully extended at 3.57m and 4.57m.)

Thanks in advance for any views as to their usefulness?

interzone55 16:48 18 Aug 08

I've got one, it does come in handy when I've got the strength to open it, the hinges have always been incredibly stiff...

The one I've got can be a platform, A-Frame ladder or straight ladder, but it's not one of the ones that can have different length legs for use on stairs - they were too expensive.

I bought mine from Lidl a few years ago, it was only about £40...

Forum Editor 16:56 18 Aug 08

invariably end up complaining - as alan14 has - about the hinges.

If you use the ladder on a fairly frequent basis, and make sure that you lubricate the hinges - preferably with silicone grease - you should have no problems. Just make sure that both hinges have locked into position before you climb on the ladder.

cluckinbell 17:03 18 Aug 08

We use them at work all the time (surveying) and they are excellent for fitting in a car boot. They are however heavy and you must lubricate the hinges as the FE points out.

Don't buy cheap and cheerfull, you will regret it.

Bingalau 17:06 18 Aug 08

I think they often come up for sale in Lidl.. I always borrow next door's.

peter99co 19:56 18 Aug 08

If you borrow next doors, don't fall off because they could be libel for your injuries. My next door used to tell me to take the ladder without telling them, so they could deny any involvment.

BT 07:44 19 Aug 08

Make sure your household insurance includes personal liability cover.
There are many pitfalls in being a householder, for example if you clear your path of snow and the postman slips on the residue you can be liable, but if you leave the snow as it fell you can't be held responsible.

oldbeefer2 09:13 19 Aug 08

Could this tread turn into a rant about Health and Safely and the compensation culture? I have a set of these ladders and have found them very versatile. A word of warning, though - when arranged as a 'platform', they must have an additional plate to stand on. The hinges (at least on mine) are not strong enough on their own.

lofty29 20:28 19 Aug 08

oldbeefer2
Why should it turn into a H&S rant, by the way I think you will find it is not the hinges that are not strong enough, it is that you are likely to put you foot inbetween the rungs that you need a platform for

oldbeefer2 20:42 19 Aug 08

Just seemed to be that was the way it was going, talking about snow etc! My set certainly said that the hinges weren't strong enough to support me (!) without a platform.

robgf 00:58 20 Aug 08

I find them very good for some things, cutting hedges, painting ceilings, anything where a platform is useful.

But they aren't very good for things like painting the fascia boards, because you cant raise them one rung at a time and the folded sections are rarely the correct length.

It pays to buy a decent set, I got mine from Wickes and have had no strength or hinge problems (mind you, I am a compulsive oiler).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…