Are your passwords as strong as you think?

TopCat® 18:48 09 Apr 14
Answered

According to this BBC story here we are being advised by various security experts to change them as soon as possible because of this Heartbleed Bug. They suggest really strong passwords for banking, email and other sensitive websites as mentioned in the article.

Will you be changing yours anytime soon? TC.

Pine Man 19:02 09 Apr 14

Not a hope.

These scare stories crop up from time time and most of the problems associated with unlawful access to accounts rarely have anything to do with passwords being hacked/guessed etc. It's usually stupidity on behalf of the account holder giving his/her info away.

Nontek 19:03 09 Apr 14

I will not be changing any of mine, I have approximately 45plus which I have been using for almost fourteen years without problems. Though I do have a special one for my on-line cash transactions - not that I have enough of that to warrant outside interest.

jaywoo 19:39 09 Apr 14

The nature of this flaw renders password complexity irrelevant, if services you use have been compromised then your credentials will have been transmitted effectively un-encrypted to any third party that has decided to take advantage of it. Carelessness doesn't factor into it.

Also it's only worth changing passwords for services that were vulnerable and have now implemented the SSL fix.

Lots of information here and here including a link in the latter page to easily check sites you commonly use.

"The Heartbleed bug allows anyone on the Internet to read the memory of the systems protected by the vulnerable versions of the OpenSSL software. This compromises the secret keys used to identify the service providers and to encrypt the traffic, the names and passwords of the users and the actual content. This allows attackers to eavesdrop on communications, steal data directly from the services and users and to impersonate services and users."

TopCat® 15:16 10 Apr 14

Here's an update to the subject matter for info:- here Makes your heart bleed doesn't it? :) Sorry, but I just couldn't resist the pun. TC.

spuds 15:48 10 Apr 14

Having read the other comments, I also will keep and use the passwords I already have. In my case I already find it extremely hard to remember my credit/debit card passcodes,let alone anything else, adding further to the confusion will make it far harder for me, and no doubt others in similar circumstances?.

A few months ago there was a couple of downloads that I found available for checking and changing passwords, with rating from low to high risk. I was surprised with the results that came with those tests and checks, making me more convinced not to bother replacing the passwords I already had!.

TopCat® 16:35 10 Apr 14

I changed some of my more important passwords several months ago. They are now so complicated to remember that I made out cards for them which are kept in my bedroom wall safe. The number of times I've opened and closed that safe since, because of my poor memory, finally caught my wife's attention. When I explained the reason she said: "Well that's okay then dear, as long as you can still manage to find your way home!"

The cheek of it!! :)) TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…