Are your neighbours getting closer?

oresome 09:17 AM 06 Sep 12

Relaxation of planning laws to be introduced to boost the building and DIY markets will allow double the size of permitted ground floor development by you or your neighbour without obtaining planning permission.

I can see this leading to problems.

What do you think?

morddwyd 10:04 AM 06 Sep 12

"Are your neighbours getting closer?"

HB's certainly aren't!

However, it's England only.

KRONOS the First 10:27 AM 06 Sep 12

Relaxation of planning laws to be introduced to boost the building and DIY markets

Another odd policy from the government,prior to retirement due to ill health I worked for a company supplying safety wear and the like to the building trade all over the Borders of Scotland. My retirement really began as the recession really kicked off and the building trade was very badly hit. But it had absolutely nothing to do with planning regulations, it was about money and the fact that building companies could not get loans to build the houses and buyers could not get loans to buy. I saw many many site which had been bought, planning permission obtained and even foundations put in place only for work to stop due to lack of funds.

So I fail to see how this proposal to relax the planning regulations will make much of a difference. One odd thing I noticed in the latter months before I finished is that big companies were now chasing the small renovations or extensions which previously they would not have bothered with. This of course had a knock on effect as the smaller guys who would have normally have bid for this type of work were being drastically undercut by the incoming big boys.

interzone55 11:22 AM 06 Sep 12

I can't understand this at all.

As Chronus said, the downturn in building is due almost entirely to money supply issues, as banks and suppliers have tightened credit.

I'm in the security industry, and we've suffered a lot as our customers have had trouble getting paid from their customers.

One of our competitors rather stupidly trumpeted extended credit to all their customers, so they were very busy for a while, but a few months ago went into administration for the second time as few of their customers were paying off their huge debts.

Besides, just how people bother applying for planning permission for their conservatories?

Aitchbee 12:09 PM 06 Sep 12

On almost every episode BBC TV's " Homes Under The Hammer ", the subject of Planning Permission is always a major issue confronting the buyers of the properties...the removal of walls and the replacing of windows also need planning consent...as well as tree removal.

I can foresee many legal issues arising from this 'smart idea'.

proudfoot 12:11 PM 06 Sep 12

I tend to agree with most of the above comments, the main problem is the obtaining finance both to build and buy. I am no expert in money matters but I saw many months before the the crash, the cost of houses could not increase almost exponencialy as it was. The cost of houses at the lower end of the market has become out of reach of first time buyers, so the rest of the market crashed as no one is able to up size. All of the problems we and most of the rest of the world are experiencing is down to greed by the big banking organisations.

proudfoot 12:21 PM 06 Sep 12

There is one point I omitted to mention in my previous post is, The building regulations will have to be adhered to, so there will be limits as how close an extension or building can be to it's neighbours.

HondaMan 12:27 PM 06 Sep 12

So I fail to see how this proposal to relax the planning regulations will make much of a difference

Simple. Too expensive to get a builder - D.I.Y. Will lead to poor building standards, dangerous construction methods and cost cutting which in turn may lead to more difficulty in selling, more fires through dodgy electrics and more floods due to faulty plumbing

spider9 12:40 PM 06 Sep 12

HondaMan

It's the 'Planning Permission' that's being relaxed, not building regs - so all work done, be it DIY or a firm, will have to be inspected and 'signed-off' - so there will be no differences with dodgy building.

interzone55 15:45 PM 06 Sep 12

romanby1

All of the problems we and most of the rest of the world are experiencing is down to greed by the big banking organisations.

Nope - it's our greed. Banks don't push up the price of houses, the people selling them do.

And at least part of the blame her can be levelled at the likes of Sarah Beeny, for promoting the idea that anyone can buy a house, give it a lick of paint and make £30k in a week...

Grey Goo 15:49 PM 06 Sep 12

This will probably cause a glut of front door porches and Conservatories to blossom.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites