Are You Thinking Of Buying a Touch Sreen Display?

Input Overload 10:47 27 Feb 12
Answered

I'm looking at upgrading my Samsung display to a larger & better quality model. I usually keep up with the times & was looking at the Win 8 spec which indicates a touch screen is really needed.

I really can't see this working in traditional vertical displays, in tablets & iPods & the like it's pretty intuitive. Holding your hands up to a large vertical display is tiring (yes I've tried) & you feel pretty stupid.

I really wonder about the ability to do complex tasks such as photo editing & filing large amounts of music & spreadsheet work. Is the mouse about to finally die at last?

My desktop looks very similar in layout as it did in Windows 95 but it looks like that’s about to change - But i like it the way it is & works very well for me. Maybe I’m getting old but as really can’t get my head round using a workstation in the same way as a pad or android device. Will traditional PC's die out or will eventually there be two types of PC that live together?

For the first time ever I really wonder if I'm being left behind in not wanting to ‘upgrade' to a new idea. Anyone else wonder about this?

Aitchbee 11:49 27 Feb 12
Answer

I have experienced 'touch screens' in two different situations.

Pub jukeboxes and also my tocca smartphone.

I find that I have to use a stylus (usually a small bookie pen) when trying to 'touch in' a text message, on the tocca, 'cos my fingerpads are too big.

The jukebox screen is big and inviting, and is a joy to use!

As far as home desktops are concerned, touch screens are not very practical.

wiz-king 11:58 27 Feb 12

There is also the added expense to consider, getting a touch screen costs at least doubles the cost for a 22" monitor.

For home use I don't want to go touchscreen.

Input Overload 12:05 27 Feb 12

I think Win 8 should have 2 versions, a smartened up reminiscent of Win 7 with the faster loading time of Win 8 & the touch screen version for mobile devices etc. What's going to occur when Win 8 is released, are desktop companies such as DELL going to install it as default?

I have dozens of programs in the start menu that take seconds to reach, I really cannot see any system faster than that & it seems MS in their infinite wisdom intend to remove it. I really wonder if MS have lost the plot this time looking at the videos of MS developers using Metro.

Quickbeam 13:36 27 Feb 12

No, a keyboard is much easier to work with a speed. With touchscreen, you're never quite sure if you've done anything until a second or so later.

wee eddie 14:24 27 Feb 12

Just a thought:

Sit in front of your Computer, with the Screen at the usual distance away from you, then hold your arm out with a finger poised at that distance.

Hold that position for about 20 minutes or half an hour and then type a little. Repeat the excercise, twice more, and you will have an idea of what it feels like to use you PC with a Touch Screen.

Totally unlike the way you use a Smartphone or a Tablet.

Joseph Kerr 14:50 27 Feb 12

No intention at all, I'm perfectly happy with my mouse and keyboard.

Joseph Kerr 14:52 27 Feb 12

"Win 8 spec which indicates a touch screen is really needed..."

If true, I shant be getting Win 8 either, but I don't think it is true.

Quickbeam 15:09 27 Feb 12

Or wait for Windows 28 which will come with a tele-helmet interface.

interzone55 16:39 27 Feb 12

There's been many attempts to change the way we interact with computers, and they all fail, because keyboard & mouse work well together.

A touch screen interface for tablet & phone work well because you hold the device in your hands and swipe with thumb & finger, but the screen needs constant cleaning due to sweaty finger marks, not ideal to have a smeary screen if you're doing a bit of photo editing.

We sell a touch screen monitor for CCTV work and it works really well though, as the security guard just prods the screen every now and again to change between cameras or play back footage.

wiz-king 19:04 27 Feb 12

I have a touch screen monitor for the shop till and it works fairly well but we don't have a lot of 'buttons' on it; most items are scanned in via a barcode canner. It also gets grubby and needs a good clean every few weeks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017