Are You Still Using WEP?

Input Overload 09:21 04 May 07

I found I found click here interesting, paranoia? interesting.

riiverstock 10:23 04 May 07

Once again the mechanics of big business's surge for rapid uptake of wi-fi -

<Although customer security is important, financial considerations come first, he said.

"If we shipped them with WPA encryption turned on and unique passwords, our costs would go up dramatically. At the moment we can't see a cost-effective way of doing that." >

Just as well car manufacturers don't have the same philosophy and put car on the roads with cheap brakes or an instable chassis inorder to keep the costs down and therefore increase sales.

TOPCAT® 13:14 04 May 07

fairly easy to crack with the right equipment, and advise us to use WPA encryption instead. Here is this click here website that has a unique WPA password generator that some may find useful if they are unsure of what to do. Just remember though to keep a record off the machine(s) for any they choose to use.

I'm staying with WEP for the time being as none of my nearest neighbours have computers or use the Internet. I also power off everything each time when I've finished using the computer. TC.

Koochy 13:28 04 May 07

I know this may click here sound like scare mongering but i do know of one person that this has happened to and they ended up having their computer taken away for investigation by the police and it took months for them to clear their name and prove they hadn't downloaded the material that so offensive it could have seen them in prison for sometime. So it's not just your neighbors that you have to worry about.

Koochy

Input Overload 14:04 04 May 07

I now use WPA2 although I live out in the sticks and have never picked up another wireless network so security isn't as much of a problem which it could be in a built up area.

mammak 14:20 04 May 07

Well I was going to answer the same as TOPCAT® until I read Koochys link, heck did that put the fear into me and I have a BT-Home-Hub router too!

I haven't even looked to see if it possible to change encryption it should be?

but that is what I am about to do right this minute.

PalaeoBill 14:33 04 May 07

Don't most people also restrict wireless access to specific MAC addresses?
I accept that this wouldn't prevent internet traffic being read by an outside snooper but it would prevent them downloading over your connection. Or should I be worried?

nick2308 15:26 04 May 07

PalaeoBill

Yes you should be worried. Spoofing a MAC address over a wireless network is easy. Most NIC's allow you to add a secondary MAC address.

WEP has been cracked for a long time, just google for progs like Airsnort or Aircrack.

Mammak

The BT-Home-Hub encryption can be change to WPA, if you have the admin password.

I recommend that if you have a wireless network you should restrict MAC addresses, use WPA or WPA2 and stop broadcasting the routers SSID. Keep checking the router logs to see if you have been attacked.

mammak 16:44 04 May 07

Thanks for that info how would I get the Admin password?

nick2308 16:56 04 May 07

mammak

Last time I looked (about 3 months ago), BT published the passwords on their website.
Regards

postie24 16:58 04 May 07

mammak,the username and password are admin/admin as default
Have a look here aswell click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now