Are you a reactive introvert?

PurplePenny 11:37 09 Feb 05

"Understanding theories of personality may improve working relations between IT staff and business managers" says Roy Norris

click here

spuds 12:15 09 Feb 05

Fully agree with the article.

Our local council had major software problems a couple of years ago, and the staff changeover increased considerably. And most of it was due to IT managers not understanding the product, before and after purchase,with the end results that the lower staff came in for very some hard times, both from the general public and the 'experienced' managerial section.It didn't help or improve the situation, when the software/hardware provider went bust.

Forum Editor 18:51 09 Feb 05

that my arrival in the IT department has been greeted with deep suspicion - people think I've been called in to recommend staff cuts/changes in job descriptions/ promotions/demotions/new and complex systems/budget cuts and/or to spy on members of staff doing things they shouldn't be doing.

Sometimes I am there to do some of those things, but often I'm there to make recommendations that will improve the way the department works.

The problem is always the same - getting the trust of the people I may have to be working with for weeks or months. My charming nature and scintillating wit obvioulsy helps, but I'm eternally grateful to the American client who once suggested that I attend one of her courses on the psychology of the workplace and group dynamics. I spent two weeks learning how to recognise personality types, and how to work with them and motivate them. I think those two weeks have since proved to be the best investment I ever made.

watchful 19:48 09 Feb 05

I am in total agreement with the article and this attitude should be applied in all workplaces not just IT depts.

Sapins 08:49 10 Feb 05

I think it's sad that nowadays we need to "learn how to recognise personality types" to be able to work with them.

Time was when workmates were treated as human beings and Friends, now because nobody has the time or inclination to get to know their workmates, when things go wrong we have to look to psychologists to give us the answer, and believe me I've come across some bizarre members of that profession, thats progress for you.

Blind em with science, but, whatever you do don't humanise them eh?

Dizzy Bob 16:46 10 Feb 05

I have completed some studies into personality types, in particular the myers-briggs model, and found it to be scarily accurate, and very useful when considering forming a project team or similar.

In addition if you are able to apply the theory to yourself, you can come up with some surprising benefits in terms of the way you relate to colleagues.

Here endeth the lesson.

Dizzy Bob

Diemmess 16:59 10 Feb 05

How true that article seems. Mercifully I never had that sort of tension, being self employed with two employees who in their way were responsible for their own work.

I.T. particularly the job of the helpline agents seems NOT to be a job I would seek in another life.

Government organisation's authorised helpline and apologists often have a miserable life to judge from the dispirited conversations I had recently with the Pension Service, renamed from the D. of Pensions and Soc. Services.

It used to be recommended that if you wanted to find out what support you could expect from a supplier, to phone their tech support or helpline first.

Isn't it nice when the agent understands the problem, offers customer sensitive help and clearly is proud of the product or service he is supporting.

PUNKA 18:15 10 Feb 05

Me Supervisor/Manager most of my Adult life.My wife Self Employed Registered Childminder.Similarities in job dealing with personality types and Learning what makes them tick so to speak the gulf between some Adults and some children is not so wide on occasions :)

Pidder 18:47 10 Feb 05

PP Just to go off at a tangent did you find that info about CRT monitors?

PurplePenny 20:11 10 Feb 05

Pidder - the notice that I read originally has been taken down. There is another one in its place with figures for the University (I thought that the other one had more global statistics). I found the same info on the university web site but I wanted to check whether it was domain restricted before posting it. I meant to check from home but completely forgot (told you I had a lousy memory) :-(

stalion 20:30 10 Feb 05

the gulf between some Adults and some children is not so wide on occasions :)
Especially on this forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…