Are you one of the 31%

Forum Editor 12:43 07 Jan 07

of internet users in this country who still use a dial-up modem?

According to the UK Office of National Statistics some 69% of all internet users now have a broadband connection, and BT connection figures show that 10 million of us now use their broadband service. As many of you know, BT is the ultimate provider of broadband services in the UK, although many people connect to the BT network via third-party ISPs like Tiscali and Pipex. There are over 200 companies providing broadband connections, and all of them buy the service from BT wholesale or BT Openreach.

Four years ago BT forecast that by now there would be some four million broadband users, but the real figure is actually two and a half times that, and estimates predict that 18.5 million UK homes will be connected by the end of 2008.

If you still use an analogue dial-up connection, do you have plans to change to broadband soon, are you happy as you are, or are you one of the very small number of people who still have no access to land-based broadband services?

There's a forum poll running on the subject, but in addition to that I'm interested to hear from anyone who - for whatever reason - doesn't have a broadband connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:04 07 Jan 07

No

change to BB when my ISP (freeserve) were offering BB for the same price as dial up.

BB advantages are obvious, but disadvantage of not being able to conect from anywhere but home and loss of fax I've hardly missed.

Did consider paying for a separate dial up connections for the above reasons but never got round to it.
Perhaps some of the 31% have both?

€dstowe 13:11 07 Jan 07

I am on broadband and have been for a very long time but I still have a dialup modem connected to one of my machines. It is an Olitec double function modem as it has its own comprehensive FAX facility include which, over the years, I found to be very efficient and reliable.

I don't have the internet connection part of the modem activated, just the FAX so I don't think there is a backdoor entrance for nasties that way. It has a memory card and functions "stand alone" so we only have to connect it to a computer when we need to read a received message or send one. It is rather old and should use a serial port but I have attached a serial to USB converter so we have plug 'n' play

I do need a FAX machine occasionally (once or twice a week) but, I have now chucked out the independent machine and rely entirely on the Olitec.

Sorry to be so long-winded but my point is that it nice to have the reassurance that dialup is there in case BB fails for a longer period than a few hours.

rodriguez 13:14 07 Jan 07

Nope and I could never go back to dial up. I had to for a few days when the broadband changed over to Sky and oh how painful it was. The worst thing was I'd thrown my old dial up modem out so I had to dig out the Dreamcast & Dreamcast keyboard and set up a temporary free dial up account with 1-2-Free. Also quite a few sites need broadband and just won't work properly on dial up. Google Earth is pretty much out of the question.

Watchful 13:15 07 Jan 07

No. Made the change about 18 months ago when the costs became more acceptable.

Forum Editor 13:18 07 Jan 07

"in case BB fails for a longer period than a few hours." Has it ever done that?

My experience with my BT broadband connection has taught me that in never fails, even for ten minutes. At least it hasn't done so, ever since the service began. I haven't needed a dial-up modem for years. I have a fax machine in the office, but if it's used once a month it's a miracle - everything goes/comes via email.

Now I've said that of course......

Mr Mistoffelees 13:29 07 Jan 07

I've been using BT Broadband since it became available here, nearly three years ago. There has been one occasion when the service was off for a few hours. Overall a good deal more reliable than the Freeserve dial-up I started off with in September 99.

sunny staines 13:34 07 Jan 07

just stayed in a good hotel near hereford, not only did it not have a free wi fi lounge or laptop connection in the room. we had to go to a computer room and pay to access the net on two computers which were the old 56k connection still. could not believe a posh good class hotel was so behind when it came to the internet.

spuds 13:48 07 Jan 07

"Now I've said that of course....."

Slightly off tangent, but yesterday we had a team of BT engineers replacing some overhead cables and the main connection box, at the top of the telegraph pole opposite our home. Apparently water had got into the system. No phone or internet service for over a couple of hours.

Even my standby payg dial-up was of no use ;o)

€dstowe 13:57 07 Jan 07

FE, yes, it went off for almost 30 hours some months ago. Fortunately it was Friday afternoon so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Regarding the FAX machine, we still have one customer who does not use a computer or email but (oddly) will send Faxes. His business brings in quite a lot of money so it's still worthwhile keeping the facility - but not a full FAX machine.

Zero G 14:17 07 Jan 07

Yes, but only used for an old laptop that is not upgradeable, but has some software that can not run on XP or Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…