Are you on the list?

Flak999 15:47 28 Sep 10

click here If you are, where do you stand legally? This company is already under investigation from the solicitors regulation authority over its role in sending letters to alleged pirates.

ACS:Law is liable for a fine of up to £500,000 from the office of the information commissioner if it is found that they were negligent in the handling of this sensitive data.

What are the implications of this for firms of this kind who seek to intimidate people into sending money for alleged infringements of copywrite?

wiz-king 16:07 28 Sep 10

No - my halo is intact.

interzone55 17:12 28 Sep 10

No, because I use neither Sky BB or Plusnet.

ACS Law are the worst kind of legal sharks. They've been chasing people for royalty payments on behalf of a german adult film company, with the threat of legal action.

They have no basis in law to persue these claims, and cannot take anyone to court for non-payment.

I feel sorry for the poor people who's dirty laundry has been exposed to the idiots who frequent 4Chan (don't visit this site if you don't want to see the underbelly of society), but I hope ACS Law get a serious spanking of the data Commissioner for their basic lack of data security...

Armchair 18:19 28 Sep 10

I do use Plusnet, and I had a look on their forum just then and they say:-

"All customers whose information has been disclosed have been emailed, if you don't have an email your details haven't been disclosed."

I haven't received any such email (not that I expected to!).

What a farce.

Dunno about the Sky broadband users.

peter99co 23:34 28 Sep 10

How many are on the list because they have not secured their WiFi connections?

Flak999 23:50 28 Sep 10

Lots probably! But since when did an unsecured wireless connection become a crime?

wids001 06:52 29 Sep 10

I was reading that ACS Law employ an outside company to "trawl" through sites looking for IP addresses of illegal downloaders.

Are the ISP's supplying this information? I thought most web sites were secure.

Surely, if this is happening the the ISP's are guilty of breaching the DATA Protection Act and privacy laws.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.

morddwyd 08:07 29 Sep 10

Does any body really believe that a firm of lawyers are going to face any really serious penalty?

wids001 08:13 29 Sep 10

Forum Member.

That is only after they have identified the IP number. They then get a court order for the ISP's to provide names and addresses linked to the IP adress.

My question was how do they match the IP number to an illegal download. I believe the ISP's hold information on sites visited, e-mails sent/received etc, but it seems to me as though ACS are able to get this info as well, then get the court order to obtain the name and address of an account holder.

interzone55 09:04 29 Sep 10

Using a bit torrent client you can list all IP addresses that are uploading the file to your computer. It's then an easy job to match the IP address to an ISP, then obtain a court order to force the ISP to release the customer's details.

The ease of tapping into an unsecured WiFi connection is the main reason why no-one has been successfully prosecuted for file sharing in this country.

ACS Law are simply using scare tactics to extort money from people, they're nothing less than gangsters...

spuds 16:54 29 Sep 10

Over the past few days there as been a few media reports about ACS Law.

If you have received any correspondence from them, then this might be of help click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…