Are you guilty of owning a lemon?

TopCat® 16:26 16 Jan 10

That is, the owner of one of the cars that tend to fail their first MOT.

The findings of a BBC FOI request which took 18 months to obtain "lists every car and small van tested in 2007." Various denials and opinions on why these figures are unreliable can be found at click here

I tend to think that the ever increasing intervals between servicing could be a factor, as owners may well be leaving developing minor faults until service time.

On the other hand, it could well be that the standard of servicing at some outlets has dropped considerably, and things that should have been picked up on and rectified at the time, go unnoticed.

It could also be said that some owners are simply failing to keep their vehicles in a good and serviceable condition, and then complain bitterly at the eventual cost of putting things right.

What are your views on this subject? TC.

Hercule Marple 16:26 16 Jan 10

404 - Page Not Found

TopCat® 16:27 16 Jan 10

Bad link? click here

al's left peg 16:39 16 Jan 10

I tend to think it is down to the amount of the particular model sold. I would say Megane's, 307's, Focus's and Astras are probably within the top six of all cars sold over the last ten years, so there will be more failures due to the amount of them on the road.
Saying that, I own a Magane Scenic 03 reg and it has not passed an MOT at the first attempt in the three years I have owned it. It's not driven hard and is serviced well within the manufacturers requirement, it's just a crap car I can vouch for that.

OTT_B 16:51 16 Jan 10

Some discussion on this is here: click here

The article you've linked to almost seems to be attempting to right some wrongs that the original (very spurious) article created.

TopCat® 17:13 16 Jan 10

Sorry, OTT_B, I didn't mean to steal your thunder!

I obviously didn't do a good enough job of checking before posting.

Now closing this. TC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…