Are you getting what you paid for?

Si_L 09:25 29 Sep 08

I've recently moved into uni halls, and the campus has a contract with an ISP called Ask4. With a choice of 2mb or 10mb package, I took the later. It promised high download speeeds etc, so I was a bit surprised to hear the 10mb is shared across the whole campus. Not everyone is here yet, and if they are, they probably haven't got round to sorting their internet, but despite this, I am hitting an average speed of less that 1mb.

The contract also means that I can't use another ISP: I'm stuck with this one for as long as I'm in halls. And to make matters even worse, wireless is banned to stop people sharing a connection. Its on a yearly contract too.

Is there anything I can do about this? I've paid a lot of money for it and I feel ripped off.

Anyone else had the same problem?

cream. 09:39 29 Sep 08

Most uni's I have visited have a fibre optic connection and this is also fed into the halls. Speed is constant around the uni if it is empty or full.

A 10mb connection should give you a constant 1mb download speed. So a 600Mb iso should download in 10 minutes.

Pesala 09:49 29 Sep 08

I would be more than a bit surprised to hear that the 10 mb bandwidth was shared across the whole campus. With 100 students online at any one time that would be a worthless 0.1 mb.

What I suspect it means is that 10 mb is available to students anywhere on the campus. The speed is the maximum that you can expect, which is normal for ADSL connections so 1 mb is not unusual. Just be thankful that you signed on for 10 mb and not 2 mb.

Wait and see if it is really useless or not. If it does prove to be a problem, then learn to get up at early to go online instead of working until the early hours of the morning as many students are apt to do. The mind is clearer in the morning anyway.

DieSse 11:57 29 Sep 08

You're confusing your bits and Bytes (or doing the maths wrongly!).

A 1Mbps download is approximately 120KBps.

Thus a 600 MB iso would take about 80 mins.

In practice it's a bit slower overall - so count on about an hour and a half.

Which ties in well with what my 512Kbps gives me in practice.

DieSse 12:01 29 Sep 08

Ah I see what you said -

"A 10mb connection should give you a constant 1mb download speed"

Perhaps you meant

A 10mb connection should give you a constant 1Mb download speed.

Which would equate to about 9-10 mins.

Si_L 12:26 29 Sep 08

"Wait and see if it is really useless or not. If it does prove to be a problem, then learn to get up at early to go online instead of working until the early hours of the morning as many students are apt to do. The mind is clearer in the morning anyway."

I don't to have to get up early to get the speed I paid for! I can't understand how they are allowed to charge for 10mb and only deliver 1mb. Its only because broadband is relatively new that they are allowed to get away with it. If you went to a shop and ordered a pizza and they gave you a tiny slice you would demand your money back, but for broadband its acceptable?!?

DieSse 12:31 29 Sep 08

Whoops - distracted by lunch there.

You should have put

A 10Mb connection should give you a constant 1MB download speed

M = Mega (m = milli)

b = bits

B = Bytes

mrwoowoo 14:02 29 Sep 08

Sorry if i'm being a bit thick,but aren't you just constantly repeating what cream said?

Charence 15:50 29 Sep 08

Your uni should have some union or maybe you can ask the question to some hall wardens? The student union should be able to help you if you really aren't getting what you paid for, and there's always things like the university radio or newspaper you could report on to let your classmates know.

btw.. is this hall a 3rd party one (e.g. Unite) or from the uni?

also, which uni?

C

Pesala 16:03 29 Sep 08

"I can't understand how they are allowed to charge for 10mb and only deliver 1mb."

Read the small print of the agreement.

click here

Si_L 16:37 29 Sep 08

There is no small print there. You link simply gives reasons why real speed isn't hitting the speed stated. I fully understand an appreciate these reasons, but then the ISP has to understand and charge accordingly! It is completely backwards and illogical for them to do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…