Are you buying a laptop?

Forum Editor 20:54 28 Dec 05

Every Christmas my wife and I meet her sister and husband for lunch in a different restaurant - a little tradition that's developed over the years. Today we dined just off Tottenham Court Road, partly because one of the best Chinese restaurants on the planet is there, and partly because my brother-in-law had asked me to advise him on a laptop purchase.

Whilst browsing the computer shops I was astonished by the number of people out shopping for bargains, and interested to note that the vast majority opted for laptops - I saw hardly any PC purchases.

We bought an excellent Toshiba priced at £640, and with a bit of persuasion we got the shop to add a heavily discounted shoulder bag, optical mouse, and flexible USB keyboard light - the whole lot came to around £685.

Is this a reflection of the way things are going generally - are laptops now so well-specified, convenient, and relatively inexpensive that we're at the point where they are replacing the traditional tower?

SG Atlantis® 21:08 28 Dec 05

not in my house. I ain't sitting in front of a dinky little machine unless I have too.

mattyc_92 21:14 28 Dec 05

I can't stand Laptops personally. They are also more expensive Spec-to-Spec.

Also they will cost a hell of a lot more to get new parts.

So, Laptops are a no for me at the moment. :)

Skills 21:17 28 Dec 05

More and more people I talk to now are replacing exsisting kit when the time comes with laptops.

I have both in my house and will still keep a desktop as it does offer a better upgrade route.

ayrmail 21:23 28 Dec 05

I pondered for a while on laptop v PC, went for the laptop due to convenience. We have a PC and I had one that I put together but gave that away to my sister, I find the laptop so handy and along with my pda and phone I rarerly use the PC. Sitting with my feet up watching Liverpool v Everton while looking at the forum.

Belatucadrus 21:29 28 Dec 05

There are times when Laptops are invaluable and I'd hate to be without one. But if forced to chose between them I'd stick with the desktop. More configurable with regards to hardware & upgrades and much less chance of RSI.
Chiropracters are expensive and I don't want to go back.

Curio 21:31 28 Dec 05

I am not surprised Laptops are more popular lately. My Laptop was State of the art 5 Yrs ago at £2600, Down from an earlier £4000. Now the spec is so good for a quarter of the price I sometimes get the itch to get another laptop which will kick my current Sony to touch. I just can't justify it.

Sir Radfordin 22:51 28 Dec 05

The main reason I've held off a laptop purchase is because of screen size/resolution and the weight. I can't see the point in buying a laptop that has much more than a 2kg weight and that is where cost comes into it.

No doubt what you are seeing a lot of people doing is buying a "desktop replacement" notebook computer. In my experience people do this for a couple of reasons.

One is space - a desktop PC will always need more (dedicated) space.

Secondly with wireless technology and internet access speeds both improving more and more non-technical people are using a computer. They don't want to sit in a "spare" room using the thing but have the freedom to use it where they are. I've found this to be most true when speaking to those in the post 40 age group who (typically) find the wife watching TV and they want to be using a computer in the same room.

Finally it's my view that laptops are being pushed a lot more to the consumer market. Previously they were aimed at businesses and as such didn't have the full multi-media capability most home users would have been looking for.

old_git 22:53 28 Dec 05

With out doubt they are becoming more popular than their desktop counterparts, in my opinion. The versatility of the new machines available against the older models is staggering. Unless you are into the latest gaming the new generation of laptops seem to do everything.

I have seen in the last 12 to 15 months, friends switching over to laptops. The desktop counterparts seem to be passed down to the children, for homework, this sometimes justifies the cost of the laptop. The introduction of built in Wifi on most machines has been a massive incentive to a lot of people. This coupled with the ease of WiFi networking has brought pure portability to the home computer. To be able to work and browse in all locations of the house is a big plus.

The upshot being we have bought 3 laptops this year. One for my son living in the west midlands and one for my other son at university. The blistering fast barton ( my old desktop ) is now used by my daughter for homework.:-)

Forum Editor 23:12 28 Dec 05

that I am using my laptop far more than in the past - simply because it's so convenient. I can use it more or less anywhere, wireless access is available more or less everywhere I work, and the machines are every bit as capable as a desktop in terms of performance.

As laptop prices continue to fall I believe we'll see sales continue to climb. That said, I do most of my forum work on PCs, so I can work on multiple screens. When I'm travelling I use the laptop, and with just one screen the work is that much harder.

CurlyWhirly 00:19 29 Dec 05

I personally prefer desktops to a laptop.

Not my cup of tea at all but I will admit that they are useful if you do a lot of travelling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…