Are we thick or not?

Chronos the 2nd 08:14 03 Sep 13

yes we are if television program makers are concerned, as we need to be constantly told what will be coming later in the program and we need to be told what will be happening in the next program.

And yes we are by most of the newspapers as if a story is not celebrity related then anything else will get the minimum of coverage.

No we are not as far as gadget makers are concerned with are phones and cameras ETC being bundled with ever more uses or 'functionality' even my younger friends tell me that they do not use half the apps that are now routinely bundled with their all singing, all dancing phones.

No we are not as far a software publishers are concerned which are ever more complex when most PC users do not have degrees in IT and have trouble installing an antivirus program.

But now again again I come across stuff that just works. I have an older version of Iocell NETDISK SOLO after trying several NAS drives and this was so simple to set up and just works. DropBox another favourite just works. I have stopped using software because each upgrade seem to add unnecessary 'functionality' which in my opinion did little more than add bloat. Acronis I am looking at you.

I appreciate we all have different levels of knowledge and different abilities but let the majority have simplicity with advanced options hidden away for those that want them. And allow me to remove rubbish bundled with my phone that I will never use ever.

What say you.

HondaMan 11:09 03 Sep 13

Couldn't agree more.

Aitchbee 11:44 03 Sep 13

On last night's University Challenge, the winning team of student's 'raced away' with a score of 280 pts ... the loser's only got 40 points.

Which proves [to me] that some people will always be 'thicker' than others.

spuds 12:28 03 Sep 13

"Which proves {to me} that some people will always be 'thicker' than others."

Could agree more, but its getting the other person to admit to it, that's the everlasting problem?.

Isn't there a saying about "an airs-breadth between a genius and an idiot"?.

spuds 12:30 03 Sep 13

Forgot to add "Never try competing against an idiot - you are sure to lose eventually" :O)

Mr Mistoffelees 12:39 03 Sep 13

I'm sure television is now primarily aimed at people with their brain left in a jar in the fridge.

wiz-king 13:02 03 Sep 13

To be sure we is.

Chronos the 2nd 13:05 03 Sep 13

Wiz-king I emailed you this morning?????

lotvic 13:13 03 Sep 13

So maybe it's not a pickled gherkin in that jar at the back.

wiz-king 16:09 03 Sep 13

Chronos the 2nd received

spider9 19:36 03 Sep 13

spuds

"but its getting the other person to admit to it, that's the everlasting problem"

No, the problem would be defining what is "thick" in the first place.

For example, you said "an airs-breadth between a genius and an idiot", would people maybe say that being unable to use 'h' when needed placed yourself in the group? Obviously I don't think that, but it illustrates the difficulty of labelling anyone as "thick".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…