Are we heading for civil unrest?

spider9 19:07 20 Jun 15
Answered

Will today's protest marches around the UK temper Osborne's budget in July, or will it be full steam ahead, ignoring the protests?

UK protests

bremner 19:10 20 Jun 15

Having just won a general election he has a national mandate, so will obviously plough on.

Pine Man 19:19 20 Jun 15

.....and good luck to him. It seems to be working so why change it?

morddwyd 19:29 20 Jun 15

Depends what you mean by civil unrest.

Do you mean something like the poll tax disturbances or the miners'strike, or something like Wat Tyler?

Quickbeam 20:19 20 Jun 15

The peasants are far too well off these days to bother their arses to get away from the Sky box to do that...

spider9 20:25 20 Jun 15

morddwyd

I don't think anyone knows what sort of effects there might be, only time will tell, I suppose. But when tens of thousands of people go out and protest it should ring warning bells?

Pine Man "It seems to be working so why change it?"

Exactly, the Tory long term economic plan managed to more than double our National debt over the term of the last Parliament - so, as you say, it must be working!!!

spider9 20:29 20 Jun 15

Quickbeam

Just had your daily fix from the Daily Mail, then?

Aitchbee 21:02 20 Jun 15

If the Greece recovery plan goes belly-up then there will be an inevitable hardening/honing/acceleration to this government's austerity cuts. Civil unrest is 'on-the-cards'. click here

Pine Man 08:22 21 Jun 15

The majority of the, so called, protestors are simply anarchists - IMHO;-)

morddwyd

The positives vastly outweigh the negatives.

kad292 08:29 21 Jun 15

Remember reading a book called Odious Debts by Patricia Adams many years ago concerning third world debt and the ravaged state of those countries economies and the social problems caused when subjected to the 'austerity' formula now aimed at Greece.

Google her book and you will get a free pdf to download from the organisation she works for,or read articles at Probe International which explain the principle better than i.

Ungus 09:15 21 Jun 15

There isn't a real history of the type of unrest I think you are alluding too. But I do believe there will be protests and some may get out of hand. In regard to the issue it is an argument over ideology of what is the best way to recover from the mess banks got us into. What is clear is that some mainly the working poor who in my humble opinion are taking the hardest bumps. Unfortunately the Labour party seem to have abandoned being an effective opposition and would appear to be heading for the wilderness in England and extinction in Scotland so depending on your ideology we are heading for good times or very hard times, but violent protests are only going to be isolated incidents. R

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…