Are there any travel agents out there?

exdragon 12:59 02 Nov 07

Hi - is there a 'best time' to book a long haul flight? I've checked with various travel agents and get different replies: some say as soon as fares are released, others say wait a few months, while others say leave it til the last minute.

The last option is out - my nerves wouldn't stand it! I want to go to New Zealand next September: last time I went, I booked in February, because it was a sort of spur of the moment decision.

I can see that if most seats are booked early, prices will probably rise nearer the departure date, but one travel agent said the highest fares are released first because they'll get booked anyway and that bargains can be had a few months later.

Any help would be appreciated if there's anyone more 'in the know' than I.

Jak_1 17:03 02 Nov 07

I always use :

click here

usually had one of the cheapest fares on the flights that I have booked through them. Never had any problems with them at all. Just turn up at the airport, find the appropriate checkin and that's that.

Pamy 17:08 02 Nov 07

Try Here click here

exdragon 17:40 02 Nov 07

Thanks, you two. I never thought about Martin Lewis! Do you leave things to the last minute or are you early bookers?

mymate 17:59 02 Nov 07

I always book my flight to India with Southall travels. Scheduled flights dont seem to go up or down much for the Indian flight. I am paying the same as i did last year £370 to Mumbai return,
So i dont see much of a difference in price for my ticket some days its £20 more and then it might be £20 less.
I booked early cause i want a night flight to get into Mumbai in the morning so thats why i book early.

Forum Editor 18:16 02 Nov 07

For long hauls I always book as far ahead as I possibly can.

Woolwell 18:39 02 Nov 07

Choose your dates carefully. I found on one flight that by moving the return date by one day and thus avoiding school half-term I was able to save £1000.

exdragon 19:54 02 Nov 07

Thanks people - umm, what's the significance of the letters against the fare type? I've checked the rules for the three lowest prices and they seem to be identical.

In general, do you book on line or with a local or chain-type travel agent?

Jak_1 20:40 02 Nov 07

I've found it's usually cheaper booking online.

Forum Editor 23:39 02 Nov 07

can mean many things. There'll be a two letter ident for the airline, so BA obviously means British Airways.

If you book an APEX ticket there'll be AP on the code.

C means it's a business class seat; it will have F for first class and B for economy, although sometimes you get S for economy.

There are many more combinations. Some indicate whether you're travelling in high or low season, or what airlines call 'shoulder' tickets, which means the border between high and loiw seasons.

exdragon 07:56 03 Nov 07

Thanks, FE - yes, it's the ones actually shown after the fare type. In this instance, I'm looking at economy (unfortunately!) and there are 8 different options, S,H, Q, B, M, L, W and Y, all for the samedates I'm looking at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…