Are there any Engineers about?

flycatcher1 19:49 PM 28 Apr 13

25 years ago I made a roller blind for our conservatory roof 14ftX9ft. It has worked well with the odd repair but it has now gone for a burton on one side. A friend has suggested that I make a new axle of aluminium tube and I find that it is readily available in 4" or 4 1/2" diameter in the correct length in 10 or 16 swg. My question is - will it be rigid enough and can I use the thinner material to reduce weight and cost ?

Advice will be appreciated.

Noldi 19:53 PM 28 Apr 13

10 SWG is over 3mm thick it would have to be a very heavy blind. The strength is in the shape so 18 SWG (1.2 mm) will be strong enough.

woodchip 20:45 PM 28 Apr 13

As above plus the weight is not all in the middle

Cymro. 14:57 PM 29 Apr 13

So how much would a brand new shop bought blind cost? Is it really worth doing it yourself?

Forum Editor 15:04 PM 29 Apr 13

As Noldi says, the strength is in the tubular shape, so there wouldn't be a problem with deflection, provided the weight of material isn't that great. The problems with tubes of this size tend to come at the end bearings, so make sure you get that part right.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:15 PM 29 Apr 13

"the strength is in the tubular shape"

So why can't I get a decent item to hang net curtain on, that doesn't droop in the middle?

:0)

Quickbeam 15:17 PM 29 Apr 13

Now we will find out if the FE's extensive knowledge covers haberdashery!

flycatcher1 19:13 PM 29 Apr 13

Thanks for all the advice I think that I will give it a go.

Cymro Have you looked at the cost of an external blind 5mX3M ? Not for me. I enjoy making things - always have - especially when cash has been short.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Microsoft's Gamescom 2015 Xbox conference: Watch Microsoft reveal new Xbox One games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…