Are Supermarkets overcharging Now.

birdface 14:57 07 Jul 08

Just a small example at local Asda Store.Bread that we normally use.£1.25.Milk 6 pints £2.47.Local Post Office.Same Bread £1.15 and 4 pints of milk 98pence.How can small corner shops actually able to sell cheaper goods than Large Supermarkets.Is it a case of we will blame it on the petrol prices or gas electric prices and the public will not know any better.Looks like we will have to shop around for the bargains.

recap 15:19 07 Jul 08

I think it's a case of what the market for that area can stand is the general reply you would get from the supermarket. So the Asda store can sell bread at £1.25 because they know the customer will pay that price. You could go to an Asda ten miles away and find they are selling the same loaf at .99p because that is what the market there can stand.

birdface 16:07 07 Jul 08

I think because of the rising cost of fuel and power everyone is going to be shopping around.And now is not the time for supermarkets to be putting there prices up.I normally take the wife shopping and can see the big jump in prices,At first I thought the milk prices had gone up to give the farmers a better deal.But when I see them selling 6 pints of milk for £2.47 and small corner shops selling 8 pints for less than £2 there is something not right.Uncut bread has gone up from 89Pence to £1.09.Not a lot you say.But by the time you have finished shopping it all adds up.I think they are cashing in on the high fuel prices but time will tell,We have certainly shifted the way we shop.We used to do all or shopping in the one store.Now we go to 3 or 4 different ones.

oresome 16:27 07 Jul 08

Supermarkets have captured the majority of petrol sales to the extent that there are few alternatives now in built up areas.

I was surprised to see fuel on sale cheaper at a filling station on a major trunk road than at our local supermarket the other day.

Once the competition has been driven out of business, it's inevitable the supermarkets will raise their margin on fuel I guess.

john bunyan 16:35 07 Jul 08

The supermarkets are usually cheaper over a whole shopping basket. The trouble on food prices is simply that: 1. The world population is rising faster than food supply. 2. India and China in particular are doing better economically so a small rise in their per caput consumption increases demand 3. Some crops have been poor - eg Australian drought - wheat less. 4. Food crop acres diverted into bio diesel, so alternative crops cost more. 6. Fuel supply fixed so prices up for reasons 1 and 2 above. Farmers costs up as fuel and oil dependant input also up. Answer: More birth control - supply can never catch up.

birdface 17:02 07 Jul 08

I suppose it is up to the public where to shop.I am sure if they stopped using the big Supermarkets the prices will come down.And to John Bunyan family planning is not the answer I believe our prime minister has already said that we need at least 250.000 immigrants to come into this country every year just to fill the job vacancies that we have.So they have no intention of limiting the number of people residing in the UK.To me it looks straightforward,The more folk staying here the more food, power, housing, water, Etc,That will be needed.A smaller population would need less of all of those things and would help cut down global warming.Oops ranting again.

spuds 17:15 07 Jul 08

I thought Asda were selling milk for £1.44 per 4 pint container (2.272 litres). If you purchased two containers they were charging £2.00. Tesco's had this same deal for a few days only, then went back to charging £1.44 per container.

When I saw the title " Are Supermarkets overcharging Now", I thought this was referring to the price on the shelf, and the price at the checkout. After finding a few discrepancies, I alway check my bills now.

Bingalau 17:22 07 Jul 08

Why not use your little corner shop? It seems to be trying hard and has more overheads than the supermarkets.

Stuartli 17:34 07 Jul 08

The supermarkets highlight certain low prices, price cuts and BOGOF offers and make it up elsewhere.

For instance, go to your local pound shop or Save store where well known branded goods are sold and check out how much supermarkets charge for the same products.

You'll be surprised by how much more the big supermarkets more often than not add to that basic pound shop price...:-)

Stuartli 17:36 07 Jul 08

I've not seen 4pt milk containers on sale at such a low price for some time.

sunny staines 17:48 07 Jul 08

why are most of the best offers on junk food only.

tesco used to be cheaper than elsewhere but recently its been moving to be more expensive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac