Are solar flares a real threat?

peter99co 22:37 21 Sep 10

How much we really need to worry about the warning and the possibility of life without electricity.

Sounds very ominous!

Forum Editor 22:58 21 Sep 10

That depends on what kind of person you are. Whenever I hear one of these dire warnings of impending doom I ask myself if there's anything I can do about it by way of preparation. If there is I do it, and if there isn't I let it fade into the background, and get on with life. With luck there'll be no disaster, but if there is, and there's no warning I'll react to it when it happens.

As far as the 2012 solar flare storm prediction is concerned, it's just that - a prediction. There's no real evidence to suggest that the sun is going to produce flares on a scale that would knock out the world's power grids.

Here's a prediction from me:

2012 will come and go, and the human race and all its power grids will be just fine. If I'm wrong you'll have no way of telling me.

Mr Mistoffelees 23:27 21 Sep 10

I'll gladly sell you a lead balaclava, so your brain doesn't get fried by the extra solar radiation!

peter99co 23:31 21 Sep 10

I am not worried about it. It may reduce my electric bill. Should I return to paper bills instead of ebills?

zzzz999 06:19 22 Sep 10

Thing is if you are wrong we won't be able to log on to here and slag you off.

Quickbeam 06:21 22 Sep 10

It's the end of the world as we know it... beam me up.

zzzz999 06:23 22 Sep 10

2012 also coincides with the mayan prophecies of massive change coming to the earth (some say the prophecy is of the end of teh world, I'll go with the alternative theory that it relates to great enlightenment coming).

Ehhhh, how many of those lead balaclavas do you have?

morddwyd 07:35 22 Sep 10

It will no doubt be a total disaster, Armageddon for electronics, just like the Millennium Bug.

bri-an 09:19 22 Sep 10

Having noticed in another thread that Scotland's politicians are likely defeating the price increase of alcohol bill, we will probably not even notice any solar flares.
Likely just strip to our string vests and sunbathe our way through 2012 !

johndrew 10:02 22 Sep 10

One thing is for sure, even if your electric toaster fails and your digital watch is fried, your boss will still expect you to be at work on time.

Thinking of toast, if the flare is big enough ....

Panic in the streets??

interzone55 10:17 22 Sep 10

Flares are so early 90's, doesn't the sun know that carrot leg jeans are the latest thing?

ps don't ask me what carrot leg jeans are, I don't have a clue, just something I picked up from the next mrs alan14's magazines...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017