are NTL and Virgin getting closer?

Newuser38 16:19 04 Dec 05

"NTL said in talks to buy Virgin Mobile
04/12/2005 16:00

By Adam Pasick and David Cullen

LONDON (Reuters) - Cable company NTL is in talks to buy Virgin Mobile in a deal that would create a powerhouse TV, telecommunications and mobile phone company under the Virgin brand, according to sources close to the talks."

What do you think about that then."Sir Richard looks to be the biggest shareholder", they say.

I see Virgin are also offering, via click here, a draw for a full Xmas for signers up to their broadband (NTL supplied) by 10 December.. Xmas feast + £1000.

SG Atlantis® 16:25 04 Dec 05

NTL also supply the tesco internet services. If ntl owned virgin mobile would that mean cheaper calls to virgin mobiles from ntl?

Might make me switch from o2 to Virgin.

Of course Virgin don't have their own network they piggy back on the t-mobile network...

amonra 19:01 04 Dec 05

Should give Mr. Murdoch and Sky a kick in the pants ! He's had it all his own way for too long.

Forum Editor 19:30 04 Dec 05

are merging.

Newuser38 20:12 04 Dec 05

FE have you seen something later than the Reuters or Sunday Telegraph reports.

Both of which suggest NTL will buy Virgin Mobile, I believe they bought out Virgin net in 2004 after launching it with NTL,and that they are to buy Virgin mobile and then that by share reverse transfer RB will have 14% of the shares in the new company. Which will be called Virgin.

If a merger the big argument is always who merged with whom,or who bought whom, been there and had the argument, but as a senior employee and not on a £4.5m scale.

What will it mean for us 'technology users'

€dstowe 20:21 04 Dec 05
  SG Atlantis® 20:22 04 Dec 05

don't think it will mean mcuh, I have my phone, tv and bb with ntl. I should expect the same service from them.

If price went up I'd jump ship as would many others, if prices go down then more customers will join. But that applies to any company any time of the year.

no difference as I can see, or am I not looking at the "bigger" picture?

VoG II 20:45 04 Dec 05

So where does this leave Telewest / blueyonder customers? Up a certain creek without a paddle I reckon :o(

Newuser38 13:18 05 Dec 05

€dstowe

Thanks I guess it depends what ones news source is. I'll leave this open for a little while longer and keep an eye on the evolution.

SG Atlantis® 13:19 05 Dec 05

it's on PCA news click here

Newuser38 20:04 05 Dec 05

But you saw it here first.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…